Search This Blog

Thursday, April 14, 2011

A Martyr for Today: Clement Shahbaz Bhatti




Clement Shahbaz Bhatti spoke out for religious freedom in Pakistan. He opposed the blasphemy laws that required death for those who spoke critically of Islam. He defended the persecuted Christian minority. He knew he was in danger and said very openly he would rather die for Jesus Christ than stop his fight against Sharia Law. Four months ago in an interview with the BBC, he predicted his own assassination. The Taliban took credit for the bloody killing which took place in broad daylight outside the home of his mother.

According to Catholic World News, Bhatti's Bible has been placed by the Vatican in St. Bartholomew's Basilica in a collection of artifacts honoring martyrs of the past century. CWN quoted Bhatti saying:
I have been asked to put an end to my battle, but I have always refused, even at the risk of my own life. My response has always been the same. I do not want popularity, I do not want positions of power. I only want a place at the feet of Jesus. I want my life, my character, my actions to speak of me and say that I am following Jesus Christ. This desire is so strong in me that I consider myself privileged whenever--in my combative effort to help the needy, the poor, the persecuted Christians of Pakistan--Jesus should wish to accept the sacrifice of my life. I want to live for Christ and it is for Him that I want to die. I do not feel any fear in this country.
Pray for this courageous martyr and ask his intercession that those of us living today will have his courage and fortitude to follow Jesus even to the cross of martyrdom. Intercede for us, Clement Shahbaz Bhatti.

1 comment:

  1. They are trying to bring the Sharia laws to the United States now. May Clement Shahbaz Bhatti rest in peace, although he probably does not need my prayers but went straight to heaven. I am probably more in need of his prayers.

    ReplyDelete