Search This Blog

Sunday, June 19, 2011

Happy Father's Day!

There's something especially appropriate about celebrating Father's Day on the Feast of the Holy Trinity. After all, the family is the best image on earth for the reality of the Holy Trinity. The love of a father and mother generate new life like the love between the Father and the Son generates the Holy Spirit. What a blessing that we lowly humans can participate in the creative love of God Himself. What an incredible delusion the devil has spawned to convince people to destroy their capacity to be "like God" in creating new life!

I am especially grateful today for godly men and husbands who "love their wives as Christ loves the Church" with a sacrificial love that puts their families ahead of their own selfish inclinations. I am so blessed to be married to one! And I have two sons and three sons-in-law who are great daddies to their combined nineteen children! Thanks, dads from a grateful gramma.

I am also most grateful for the other fathers I know who gave up marriage and family to devote themselves wholeheartedly to the flock. When I think of the good priests I know (and have known) who not only serve but suffer for their people, I'm edified and humbled. I want to imitate their self-sacrificing love.

May St. John Vianney intercede for all priest-fathers today and may St. Thomas More, that so faithful Catholic layman and father, intercede for all daddies. Mother Mary, I place all their needs at your feet and ask for your powerful intercession for them before the throne of God. "Hail Mary, full of grace...."

No comments:

Post a Comment