Search This Blog

Saturday, October 27, 2012

Commercial Break: Apples on My Mind

We went apple-picking with our youngest daughter and her two little girls yesterday and came home with a half a bushel of Nittanys, one of my favorite varieties. I decided to play Julie and Julia lite by getting out my Better Homes and Gardens cookbook and making every apple recipe in the book.

Yesterday was the first, an apple cobbler made with a combination of flour and cornmeal for the topping. Excellent! It makes my list of favorite desserts and is easier than an apple pie. Today I'm moving on to an apple cake made in a tube pan. The ingredients sound yummy and we will take most of it to my niece and her family with dinner. She just had a new baby and all new mommies need a break.

I will certainly have to find places for my experiments since Larry and I can't possibly eat all these things but we have lots of friends and family, the church Sunday coffee, a women's shelter in town, and we square dance. (Square dancers are notorious eaters.) So I'm off on a journey with apples. And as you enjoy eating these autumn treats, remember that you are the apple of God's eye.

No comments:

Post a Comment