Search This Blog

Sunday, May 12, 2013

If You Can Read This, Thank Your Teacher: Mom!

Ever seen that slightly different message on a bumper sticker? It says "thank a teacher" without the "Mom."

But who are the first teachers, the primary teachers?

Moms and dads, especially stay-at-home moms who teach their children everything from how to play patty-cake, to saying their first words, to making the Sign of the Cross, to counting and learning colors, to brushing their teeth and putting their shoes on the right feet. And for teaching the virtues: honesty, modesty, kindness, prudence, etc.

Yup, moms are the best! Thanks to my mom today and every day! I'm praying for you today, Mom, in thanksgiving for life and all the joys and sorrows that go with it.

Some special memories crowd in today so I'll list some things I'm thankful for:

  • that beautiful pink organdy graduation dress you made me for eighth grade. I was still wearing it in college!
  •  for porcupine balls made in the pressure cooker (one of my favorite dinners) and all those endless meals you cooked and served for our large family, 
  • for all the 6:30 a.m. morning Masses together at Our Lady of Mount Carmel, 
  • for cookie-baking and sewing lessons - I still remember that vest I made for my first project,
  • for teaching me how to make a bed with hospital corners,
  • for your cheerful disposition that continues to be reflected in all your children,
  • for your impeccable English that helped us all score well on the verbal SATs by just picking the choices that "sounded right,"
  • for all those years of faithful service to your family of twelve -- especially our dinners together every night -- they were the "Eucharist" of our family's "domestic church." 
Your legacy continues to bless us into the next generation.

Happy Mother's Day!

2 comments:

  1. MaryAnn, your mother is beautiful, inside & out! God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She was beautiful even at the end of her life. When I was little and she and my dad were dressed up for a party I thought she looked like a princess.

    ReplyDelete