Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

How come....?

I was just reading a columnist who is all gung-ho on physician-assisted suicide. It's compassionate; it eliminates suffering; it's death with dignity.

So how come using the same means to kill convicted serial killers is cruel and unusual punishment...often fails and requires multiple attempts to kill while the person seizures, vomits, etc?

I'm not a big fan of capital punishment, but I'm just wondering how the same method of killing is so right for the innocent and so wrong for the guilty. Can you explain it to me?

3 comments:

  1. how the same method of killing is so right for the innocent and so wrong for the guilty

    Well, I'll give you the modernist answer: Consent. To the modernist, man is the measure of all things - so if man gives his consent, anything goes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In view of Hugh Finn and Terry Sciavo and all the vulnerable elderly in places like Holland who are afraid to check into a hospital I'd say consent isn't all that important to a modernist.

    ReplyDelete