Search This Blog

Thursday, September 10, 2026

Become Like Little Children: Read Children's Books

I just finished the most charming little children's book, A Mouse Called Wolf, written by Dick King-Smith who also wrote Babe, The Gallant Pig. One of my favorite movies is Babe and it's based on the book. I searched but couldn't find that A Mouse Called Wolf also inspired a movie. Too bad. I can imagine the birth of the little runty mouse, the teasing of his brothers and sisters, the adventure with the cat, and especially the blossoming friendship with the elderly woman, a retired concert pianist.

The black and white illustrations by. Jon Goodell are so sweet I almost hate to give the book away, but it definitely belongs in the hands of children.

It arrived with lots of other books at our little independent library. They were all paperbacks which we don't keep, so all of them were placed in a basket in the children's section or outside on our giveaway rack. I took about a dozen to share with my grandkids, but wanted to read them first to make sure everything is acceptable. In today's world where the "diversity bookbag" for children includes sewage, I always want to check first. I'm glad I did because it's given me some happy hours.

What a delight it was to read A Mouse Called Wolf about a little singing mouse who gets his name from Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, Wolf for short. It also delighted me to see the concert pianist who lives with him and dispenses chocolates is Mrs. Honeybee. What a triple treat for a beekeeping, Mozart, chocolate lover. My favorite classical composer is Bach, but Mozart is a close second.

Today I'm writing a letter to two little Texas granddaughters and enclosing it with the book and some paper dolls and stickers. Even as an old lady I love to get mail and can just imagine their smiles when they find the package in the mailbox.

I often browse the children's section in bookstores. Children's illustrators can either create ugliness, James and the Giant Peach, or beauty, all of Beatrix Potter's little beasts. I don't mind whimsical, simple illustrations like the Pigeon in Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus, a story read hundreds of times to my grandchildren. But I truly love the beauty of the classical illustrations in Mother Goose, A Children's Garden of Verses, Alice in Wonderland, Aesop's Fables, Winnie the Pooh, etc.

I love the illustration above by Jessie Wilcox Smith. What a timeless piece! If you need a lift, pick out a beautifully illustrated children's book and read it. Even better, read it to your children and grandchildren. The best way to educate your children is with good books, especially bible stories and classical fairy tales that teach them moral virtue in story form.  And I guarantee even reading them to yourself will plant a song in your heart.

1 comment:

  1. I found this book very good.

    La Petite Duchesse Mlle Zénaïde Fleuriot Paris: Librairie Hachette et Cie, 1876 Translated into English by Summer Charrette

    Can read on kindle.

    ReplyDelete