Search This Blog

Saturday, February 5, 2011

First Saturday: A Good Day for Confession and Atonement Prayer

My New Year resolutions are growing gradually. I started with the intention of reading one entry from the Imitation of Christ every night before bed. It is a spiritual book that never goes stale and I'm amazed how often the reading relates to something specific going on in my life. In addition, a few days ago, reflecting on First Friday, I made a specific intention of making the nine  First Fridays this year with a conscious effort. Reflecting on the Sacred Heart of Jesus pierced for love us can't help but inspire our love and gratitude in return.

And now it is First Saturday and I'm reflecting on adding the Five First Saturdays as well, a devotion requested by Mary when she appeared to Sr. Lucia of Fatima in 1926. The Five First Saturdays take more effort than First Friday. It isn't enough to go to Mass and Confession (within eight days). One is also required to pray the rosary and spend an additional 15 minutes meditating on one of the mysteries of the rosary, a different one each of the five Saturdays. All is done to atone for the five types of sins against the Immaculate Heart of the Blessed Mother which include:
blasphemies against her Immaculate Conception, against her perpetual virginity, against the divine and spiritual maternity of Mary, blasphemies involving the rejection and dishonoring of her images, and the neglect of implanting in the hearts of children a knowledge and love of this Immaculate Mother. (See more here...)
What did the Blessed Mother promise to Sr. Lucia for those who would make the First Saturday devotion? Listen to her own words:
"Behold, my daughter, my Heart encircled with thorns, with which ungrateful men pierce It at every moment by their blasphemies and ingratitude. Give me consolation, you, at least; and make known on my behalf that I promise to assist at the hour of death, with the graces necessary for salvation, all who on the First Saturday of five consecutive months confess their sins, receive Holy Communion, recite five decades of the Rosary, and keep me company for fifteen minutes meditating on the mysteries of the Rosary, with the purpose of making reparation to my Immaculate Heart."
As I get older, I reflect more often on the last things: death, judgment, heaven, and hell. And how encouraging it is to think of Mary coming with her legion of angels to accompany me on my final journey. It's a small effort of love to make for such a great return. When I think of the efforts we go to for celebrating birthdays, holidays, etc. it is a small effort indeed to show love and devotion to Our Lady.

Our Lady of Fatima, pray for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment