• 49% of Egyptians say Islam plays only a "small role" in public affairs under President Hosni Mubarak, while 95% prefer the religion play a "large role in politics."How these attitudes will play out in forming the new government is yet to be seen. Pray hard!
• 84% favor the death penalty for people who leave the Muslim faith.
• 82% support stoning adulterers.
• 77% think thieves should have their hands cut off.
• 54% support a law segregating women from men in the workplace.
• 54% believe suicide bombings that kill civilians can be justified.
• Nearly half support the terrorist group Hamas.
• 30% have a favorable opinion of Hezbollah.
• 20% maintain positive views of al-Qaida and Osama bin Laden.
• 82% of Egyptians dislike the U.S. — the highest unfavorable rating among the 18 Muslim nations Pew surveyed
Saturday, February 12, 2011
Pew Poll Tells "What Egyptians Really Want"
If you are under the impression that Egypt will suddenly jump into the "democracy" column of world governments, you need a reality check. Here's what a Pew Research Center poll last year found according to an editorial in Investors Business Daily: