Search This Blog

Sunday, March 1, 2020

Sunday Meditation: Live Below Your Means!

Take a walk in God's woods and
stop to smell God's flowers! 

Do you "window shop" on the internet? Perhaps it would be more accurate to call it "surfing the web." At any rate, in my meanderings this morning I came across a short article about a psychologist's one piece of advice to his colleagues. That advice was "live below your means." The title stopped me short. What are the benefits of "living below your means?" There are two big ones that are worth thinking about during Lent.



1.) More Time 


Well, actually, we all have the same number of hours in a day. But think of those who live at or above their means. They have to work to maintain that lifestyle and not fall behind. So they spend more hours at work or with business contacts, maybe also working overtime and on weekends. The time they could spend with spouse and family, instead goes to career advancement. And so, at the end of life, perhaps the theme song for these folks will be Cat's in the Cradle.


Think of the benefit of living below one's means. Less work pressure means more leisure for building relationships -- with God, with your family, with friends. A walk in the woods, a conversation with a troubled teenager, splashing in puddles with a toddler -- reading silly books or singing silly songs with little ones. Is a newer car or a bigger house really worth sacrificing the precious moments of life? And think of the benefit of eating simple meals several times a week and putting the money saved in a charity account. What a great way to teach your children about the obligation to help others. And by not just giving money, but giving up something in order to provide it -- wow! That's how Jesus described the sacrifice of the poor widow.

2. More Money

By spending less than one makes, there is more disposable income to give to charity (great thought in the season of almsgiving, eh?), to save for a special family vacation that otherwise wouldn't be possible, or to put away for college or retirement.

I once met a woman at the Apostolate for Family Consecration's annual family retreat. She and her husband had seven children and her husband worked stocking shelves at a grocery store. I asked her how they managed to make ends meet. She replied without missing a beat and with a big smile. "Every time we have another child, we lower our standard of living." Their family was so obviously happy and content, I marveled at them. And I confess (shamefaced) that I never had that level of trust.

How are you planning to spend this Lent? Will there be more time for prayer and family? Will there be more money for almsgiving? Will you choose to "live below your means" in a spirit of contentment as St. Paul describes in Philippians 4:11? "I speak not as it were for want. For I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, to be content therewith."

Have a blessed first week of Lent. I'm taking a walk to the dam.

4 comments:

  1. Your Picture is of Cat Stevens, not Harry Chapin. Go to pinterest.com and type in Harry Chapin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! I was just looking on YouTube for the song. But I put up a different version with the lyrics. Thanks for the clarification.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I listen to Dave Ramsey on the radio. His program is focused on getting people out of debt to begin with and then helping them build wealth. The key to both is sacrificing what you don't need to eventually get what you want. For all of us that "thing" is peace of mind and security. And once that has been established, the temptation to envy and resent others is greatly diminished or non existent.

    Work and fasting from pleasure brings happiness no matter who you are or how much you are worth. Debt, on the other hand, is a prison sentence on those who choose to live with it and do nothing about it.
    I don't think God intended us to live in poverty for the express purpose of "spreading our wealth around." While none of us can neglect the poor in our own midst, it is a ludicrous idea to think there should be no accumulated wealth. Or that all should live more meagerly so others can have "their share."
    I grew up poor. I wore hand me down clothes. I never went to summer camp or took private lessons like many of my friends. My father worked nights weekends and holidays to put food on the table. I did not go away from home to attend college. My mother made my wedding dress. Mine was far from a life of privilege. But I never imagined other people should or would eat cheaper meals or go without so I could have better.

    I think too often Catholics get tangled up in ideas of "social" welfare. Dietrich von Hildebrand said in his book, Trojan Horse in the City of a god, "He who no longer sees the radical difference that exists between charity and humanitarian benevolence has become deaf to the message of Christ."

    Whereas almsgiving is a clear and very real aspect of Lent, the larger focus should be on self discipline through sacrifice. One is no substitute for the other.
    It is worth noting that many great men in the Bible were wealthy. Abraham, David, and Joseph of Arimathea are examples.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I listen to Dave Ramsey too -- love him in fact! One of his points is that when you get out of debt you have more to share with others who are less fortunate or in dire straits. That's why I like to support Mercy Chefs. They take literally the call to "feed the hungry" in areas suffering from natural disasters.

    ReplyDelete