Search This Blog

Thursday, March 14, 2024

For all the moms and grandmoms walking the Martha path

I had to laugh this morning as I was reading chapter seven of Fr. Scupoli's Treatise on Peace of Soul. He wrote that we should "remain in a state of perfect self-denial like Mary at the feet of Jesus, instead of busying ourselves with many things like Martha."

Poor Martha always seems to get a bad rap! Whenever I read things like this, I always laugh and say to myself, "Martha is a saint too, and one with whom mothers can certainly relate." As my mom used to say, "A man works from sun to sun, but a woman's work is never done." Which reminds me, I need to bake bread, fold the laundry, dust and vacuum the living room, start getting my garden plot ready, and write some birthday cards.

My mom had a framed poem on the kitchen wall of every house as we moved from place to place with my dad's Navy assignments. I love the poem so much I memorized it and offer it here for all you Martha moms and grandmoms out there serving your families with love and devotion. May God make us saints as we walk in Martha's footsteps.

KITCHEN PRAYER

Lord of all pots and pans and things
Since I’ve not time to be
A saint by doing lovely things or
Watching late with Thee
Or dreaming in the dawn light or
Storming Heaven’s gates
Make me a saint by getting meals and
Washing up the plates.

Although I must have Martha’s hands,
I have a Mary mind
And when I black the boots and shoes,
Thy sandals Lord I find.
I think of how they trod the earth,
What time I scrub the floor
Accept this meditation Lord,
I haven’t time for more.

Warm all the kitchen with Thy love,
And light it with Thy peace
Forgive me all my worrying and make
My grumbling cease.
Thou who didst love to give men food,
In room or by the sea
Accept this service that I do,
I do it unto Thee.

— By Klara Munkres

3 comments:

  1. Mary Anne, I too feel that St Martha gets a bad rap. I always looked at my dear Mom who did so much for my Dad and 4 brothers, and myself. If St Martha wasn’t behind the scenes, cleaning, prepping, cooking et al, how would any gatherings be blessed with love and order, and some bread to break together?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perhaps they would both prefer to sit at the Lord's feet and listen. But people need to eat. Some of us understand it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Consider that after Mary sat at Jesus' feet, they all ate Martha's cooking.

    ReplyDelete