Search This Blog

Sunday, September 29, 2024

Sunday Meditation: Turning Catastrophes in our Lives into Eucatastrophes

                                                                                               

Those who visit here regularly know that I'm a big fan of the Epoch Times. I especially appreciate their Life and Tradition section and always read it carefully. I often clip articles for a grandchild or a friend to tuck into a letter. So much joy overflows those pages and I learn a lot as well.

A few days ago I was catching up on back issues and found a wonderful quote from an article by Jeff Minick who lives in my own neck of the woods. One day I'd love to meet him. The article was titled The Boons and Blessings of Eucatastrophe.

If you're like me, you've never heard that word before. It was invented by J.R.R. Tolkien and described in his essay On Fairy Stories. Tolkien defined eucatastrophe as "the joy of the happy ending: or more correctly of the good catastrophe, the sudden joyous 'turn.'" He called the Resurrection the greatest eucatastrophe possible!

After describing Tolkien's word, Minick went on to offer two examples of eucatastrophes, one of which really struck me about a favorite authors, Fyodor Dostoevsky. Here's what Minick wrote:

On Dec. 22, 1849, Fyodor Dostoevsky faced death by firing squad, sentenced to die for antigovernment activities. At the last minute, a messenger arrived bearing a reprieve for the prisoners, and the writer of such later novels as “The Brothers Karamazov” and “Crime and Punishment” was instead sent to a Siberian work camp for four years. Although the reprieve was arranged in advance, with the firing squad scenario meant only to terrify the prisoners, Dostoevsky didn’t know of that plan.
On returning to his cell, he wrote to his brother about his brush with death and his radical new embrace of life: “When I look back on my past and think how much time I wasted on nothing, how much time has been lost in futilities, errors, laziness, incapacity to live; how little I appreciated it, how many times I sinned against my heart and soul—then my heart bleeds. Life is a gift, life is happiness, every minute can be an eternity of happiness!”

Many of us have experienced eucatastrophes in our lives. I can remember more than a few. And life doesn't get easier as you get older. I'll just share one.

When I had breast cancer at age 39 I was terrified! So was my husband.  We had five children; the youngest was only three. How extensive was it? Would I die? How would Larry care for our family?

How often I plugged in a praise tape from Bill Bright and listened to the praise music and exhortations to trust in God. It was a lifeline that scaled back the terror for me. I later bought another copy to share with a dying neighbor.

I remember with a shiver the long, grueling time of surgery, chemo, and recovery. "Why me," I was tempted to ask. I had no risk factors and had my first child early which theoretically protects from the disease. What purpose could God have for allowing that catastrophe in my life?

And yet only a year or two later I could tell a neighbor who had recently been diagnosed with breast cancer that many blessings came out of that terrifying ordeal. "If I could go back and change things and not have cancer," I said, "I'm not sure I would." Before my cancer, I always wondered if I believed the quote from Job hanging on my wall. "Though He slay me, yet will I trust in Him." How little I had been tested. But now I could say with confidence, "I finally believe it. Yes, I do!"

Later on, I shared my cancer experience with women I counseled at the crisis pregnancy center and on the sidewalk outside abortion businesses. I warned them that abortion, especially of a first pregnancy, increases the risk of breast cancer exponentially. Abortion doesn't just kill the baby, it hurts women. Sometimes focusing on the well-being of the mother influences her decision as much or more than focusing on the baby. Let's face it, many women choose abortion for selfish reasons. Showing sincere concern for Mom and her health, can help protect her little one as well and draw her to make a decision for life.

There is nothing safe about abortion. For those who choose abortion and repent becoming modern Mary Magdalenes, their devastating catastrophe can become a eucatastrophe. I know some of those women. But they still mourn their loss and look forward to the day they will be reunited with their children. 

The greatest catastrophes in our lives are the mortal sins we've committed breaking our relationship with the Father Who loved us enough to send His only Son to die for us. Let us repent and atone so that those catastrophes become eucatastrophes that glorify God.

Most Sacred Heart of Jesus, wounded by our sins, have mercy on us.

No comments:

Post a Comment