I'm not a Warren Buffett fan. Anybody as pro-bortion as he is has a few moral screws missing. (See here and here.) But his idea for linking Congressmen's reelection eligibility to the deficit is a winner along with a bunch of other suggestions circulating on the internet that I've copied below the video.
The founders never envisioned career politicians voting themselves huge pensions and making millions by selling their influence. It's time to have a citizen Congress again. Let legislators at both the national and state levels invest in their own 401K plans and abide by the same laws and standards they inflict on others. Let them get real jobs and work for a living! It's high time they started being "equal" instead of "more equal than others."
Recommendation for a Congressional Reform Act:
Congressional Reform Act of 2011
1. No Tenure / No Pension: A Congressman collects a salary while in office and receives no pay when they are out of office.
2. Congress (past, present & future) participates in Social Security: All funds in the Congressional retirement fund move to the Social Security system immediately. All future funds flow into the Social Security system, and Congress participates with the American people. It may not be used for any other purpose.
3. Congress can purchase their own retirement plan, just as all Americans do.
4. Congress will no longer vote themselves a pay raise. Congressional pay will rise by the lower of CPI (Consumer Price Index) or 3%.
5. Congress loses their current health care system and participates in the same health care system as the American people.
6. Congress must equally abide by all laws they impose on the American people.
7. All contracts with past and present Congressmen are void effective 1/1/12. The American people did not make this contract with Congressmen. Congressmen made all these contracts for themselves. Serving in Congress is an honor, not a career. The Founding Fathers envisioned citizen legislators, so ours should serve their term(s), then go home and back to work.