Search This Blog

Monday, July 27, 2026

The Post Retreat Culture Shock

Is it too soon to go on another retreat? Returning to the world after a retreat is always a bit of a culture shock. For almost a week I:

  • didn't have a single phone call
  • didn't see a single newscast
  • didn't hear or read a single bit of bad news 
  • didn't read a single e-mail
This morning as I went out on the front porch to begin my morning prayer with praise and thanksgiving, I thought how much a retreat is like going up on the mountain with Jesus at the Transfiguration. What a glorious time for the three apostles, and for those of us on retreat! And yet so short. Coming down from the mountain with Jesus, what do the apostles hear? A reminder that Jesus is about to begin His passion and to die, although they don't seem to get it. Read Matthew 17.

Like the apostles, I'm off the mountain and back to the valley -- literally. Today I will go about my Monday chores and maybe bake bread. I'll go out and feed the chickens. I'll check my bee journal to see if we need to inspect the hives and refresh the beetle traps. There are a few special projects on my list. Yes, it's back to the "real" world and the ordinary duties of my state in life. 

I will tack up some reminders of my retreat resolution, to "kill the spirit of complaining" as Father advised in my general confession. It's the job of a lifetime and I don't have much of that left to get it right. And, as Father said, I won't always succeed, but I plan to keep rising after every fall to begin again.

But what is this real world I've returned to? What really counts? Isn't the spiritual life just as real as all the chores and busy-ness of physical life? Perhaps even more real if it undergirds everything we do? I would like to maintain a retreat spirit every day.

On Saturday and Sunday I made a few phone calls to precious family members going through some tough trials. I prayed for them on retreat and just wanted to see how they were doing. As I go about my day, I want to carry all those I love in my heart. And I want the number of those I love to grow until it includes everyone who has ever touched my life or will touch it in the future. And that includes you, as you read this post. I've made some real friends through blogging, precious flowers on the path. And I've also picked up some thorns along the way. Which group does me more good, the friendly voices or the critical? I'll have to think about that, especially when I pray the Litany of Humility.

Will Rogers famously said he never met a man he didn't like. What a gift to be so charitable. Isn't there an element of godliness in it: to see the good in every person? 

Someone will no doubt remind me that Rogers was a Freemason. Somehow I doubt he was initiated into the darkest elements of the lodge. He was known for his brotherliness and philanthropy, the goods that mask the evils of Freemasonry. 

That same characteristic of benevolence lived in the heart of G.K. Chesterton. It's a quality I would like to nurture in myself. How can we call others to Christ if we only have relationships with those who are already Christian? Jesus sat at the well and reached out to the woman living in adultery. He loved the penitent Mary Magdalene so much that she was the first one (except for His mother) to whom He showed Himself after the Resurrection. The spiritual works of mercy call for us to counsel the doubtful, instruct the ignorant, admonish the sinner, etc. All must be done gently and with charity but there's no spiritual work that calls us to reject the sinner and condemn him to hell. His salvation is in God's hands, but we are called to "do good to those who hate you." What greater good can we do than to lead a lost soul to God?

Thank you to everyone who prayed for me on retreat. I prayed for you as well and look forward with excitement to the day we "meet merrily in heaven." 




No comments:

Post a Comment