I can't read the bishop's mind but I will presume that he really does care about his diocesan flock and not just the money the diocese is losing which, in view of the on-going SSPX building fund donations, is approaching two million dollars.
Since Bishop Burbidge supports and advertises the DDF's (Dicastery for the Doctrine of the Faith) instructions, he presumably really does believe that those laity who remain attached to the SSPX will be in a state of excommunication and schism. That is, indeed serious, and a condition that can lead one to hell. But are the priests and laity of the SSPX excommunicated? Are we in schism?
It's questionable whether the decree and explanatory note are accurate and binding under canon law. I'm certainly no canon lawyer, but I can read and think logically and the diverse arguments among canon lawyers illustrate a situation of chaos and confusion. And it doesn't help my confidence to know that the chief interpreter of the law is a pornographer who doesn't believe anyone is in hell or that anyone goes there, except, of course, those of us who attend SSPX chapels. Could anything be more ridiculous? So my good-faith belief is that I and my fellow worshipers are neither excommunicated or in schism. Neither will we be if we continue to attend the SSPX chapel.
The bishop has numerous canon lawyers available to him so, again, I presume he's aware of the "canonical mess" we're in. [I brought some of this up in my open letter to the bishop published on July 17th.] Meanwhile, I continue to follow my conscience, which I try very hard to form according to the mind of Christ and His Bride, the Church. Since the post- Vatican II popes and curia have undermined perennial doctrines of the Church which cannot change, I have no choice but to remain attached to the faith as taught by the apostles and Fathers of the Church and refuse to accept their novelties and innovations. I've seen too many of those, was often scandalized by Novus Ordo practices, and at times, fell under the spell of the "Spirit of Vatican II." NEVER AGAIN!
I consider all those in the FSSP and other traditional orders, as well as the sedevacantists, to be allies in the fight for the faith. We should all welcome the chaplaincy here in the diocese because it's likely to bring more the Traditional Latin Mass even if no one leaves our chapel to attend. I agree with Fr. David Nix who recently examined the Doctrinal Pitfalls to Each Traditional Group. We may have some differences but we are all on the same side. We just have to remember that. He even questions his own opinions and calls for all of us who love our Catholic faith to "start with humility towards each other." He goes on to say this:
Since Bishop Burbidge supports and advertises the DDF's (Dicastery for the Doctrine of the Faith) instructions, he presumably really does believe that those laity who remain attached to the SSPX will be in a state of excommunication and schism. That is, indeed serious, and a condition that can lead one to hell. But are the priests and laity of the SSPX excommunicated? Are we in schism?
It's questionable whether the decree and explanatory note are accurate and binding under canon law. I'm certainly no canon lawyer, but I can read and think logically and the diverse arguments among canon lawyers illustrate a situation of chaos and confusion. And it doesn't help my confidence to know that the chief interpreter of the law is a pornographer who doesn't believe anyone is in hell or that anyone goes there, except, of course, those of us who attend SSPX chapels. Could anything be more ridiculous? So my good-faith belief is that I and my fellow worshipers are neither excommunicated or in schism. Neither will we be if we continue to attend the SSPX chapel.
The bishop has numerous canon lawyers available to him so, again, I presume he's aware of the "canonical mess" we're in. [I brought some of this up in my open letter to the bishop published on July 17th.] Meanwhile, I continue to follow my conscience, which I try very hard to form according to the mind of Christ and His Bride, the Church. Since the post- Vatican II popes and curia have undermined perennial doctrines of the Church which cannot change, I have no choice but to remain attached to the faith as taught by the apostles and Fathers of the Church and refuse to accept their novelties and innovations. I've seen too many of those, was often scandalized by Novus Ordo practices, and at times, fell under the spell of the "Spirit of Vatican II." NEVER AGAIN!
I consider all those in the FSSP and other traditional orders, as well as the sedevacantists, to be allies in the fight for the faith. We should all welcome the chaplaincy here in the diocese because it's likely to bring more the Traditional Latin Mass even if no one leaves our chapel to attend. I agree with Fr. David Nix who recently examined the Doctrinal Pitfalls to Each Traditional Group. We may have some differences but we are all on the same side. We just have to remember that. He even questions his own opinions and calls for all of us who love our Catholic faith to "start with humility towards each other." He goes on to say this:
I am calling this article Doctrinal Pitfalls To Each Traditional Group to show why no one group is perfect. Not even my own view. Below, I am going to strong-man each group’s arguments. Then, I will explain intellectual pitfalls of their view as outlined by their opponents. I am doing this to show that if even I can show logical fallacies to each trad-view, maybe we should be charitable to each other....
I point to the holes (not the advantages) in each of the trad movements so everyone can understand that if both their convictions and their opponents’ convictions limp along, then we must strive for only what the Church has always taught while being still charitable to each other.Amen, amen, amen! I urge you to read the article and take it to heart. Stop with the circular firing squads. We're all in the soup together doing our lousy best to keep the faith. Please, friends, don't poison the soup with uncharitable attacks insisting that you are right and everyone has to jump on your bandwagon. Presume. as St. Francis says, that the other is doing the best he/she can and don't judge anyone's internal forum. Let us take to heart 2 Timothy 14 & 23:
Contend not in words, for it is to no profit, but to the subverting of the hearers....Have nothing to do with stupid and senseless controversies; you know that they breed quarrels.If you haven't read Bishop Burbidge's statement about the chaplaincy from July 19th, I offer it below. Please don't forget to pray for the bishop and all the diocesan priests every day. Every priest is the spiritual brother of Jesus (persona Christi at Mass, in the Confessional, and when he celebrates the other sacraments) and the spiritual son of Our Lady. They all deserve our love, respect, and concern, especially those most in spiritual danger. Do you pray for Cardinal Fernandez and Fr. James Martin? If not, why not?
Statement on the Chaplaincy of Our Lady of Victory
Most Reverend Michael F. Burbidge, Bishop of Arlington, has announced the establishment, beginning on July 1, 2026, of a Chaplaincy under the patronage of Our Lady of Victory, as a special ministry led by priests of the Priestly Fraternity of Saint Peter (FSSP) to serve the needs of those who attend Mass and desire to receive other sacraments in the Extraordinary Form. Father Jonathan Romanoski, FSSP and Father John Audino, FSSP have been appointed to the Chaplaincy. The FSSP is a society of apostolic life of pontifical right, erected by the Holy See and in full communion with the Church, in contrast to the Society of Saint Pius X (SSPX), which remains in a state of irregular communion.
As a Chaplaincy, rather than a parish, this agreement allows for Fr. Romanoski and Fr. Audino to live the fraternity that is part of the FSSP charism and to serve primarily in Front Royal while periodically assisting elsewhere in the diocese. Since the priests of the FSSP have the faculty, granted them by a decree of Pope Francis on February 11, 2022, to celebrate the Mass and the sacraments in the Extraordinary Form with the consent of the Ordinary of the place, this arrangement enables the faithful, in keeping with Traditionis Custodes, to be able to participate in the celebration of the Mass in the Extraordinary Form. Diocesan policy about such celebrations remains in effect. The celebration of Baptism, Confirmation, and Matrimony in the Extraordinary Form is for those individuals/families who have a particular pastoral connection to the community and who participate regularly in this form of the liturgy with the consent of the local pastor and the local ordinary.
This arrangement between the Catholic Diocese of Arlington and the FSSP formalizes an arrangement that had already been in place unofficially for some time. For several years, an FSSP priest had been assisting the clergy of the Diocese of Arlington in the care of those attached to the Extraordinary Form.
This arrangement does not affect the celebration of the Mass in the Extraordinary Form which continues at three parishes and five non-parish church locations according to diocesan policy and the permission of the Dicastery for Divine Worship and the Discipline of the Sacraments.
No comments:
Post a Comment