I think all faithful Catholics lament the serious problems we're facing these days in the Church. But sometimes I can't help but laugh and shake my head over current events. The Vatican often seems clueless about what's happening. I watched jounalist Diane Montagna's talk at the Catholic Identity Conference livestream yesterday and the panel following with fellow Vatican journalist Edward Pentin. They give a balanced view of both the good and bad happening in Rome. If you want trustworthy sources check out their substacks. I've hotlinked on their names.
Prior to the consecrations, Rome seemed convinced that hoards of SSPX priests would accept their assessment of the situation and petition to return as well as the laity fleeing their chapels. The DDF (Dicastery for the Doctrine of the Faith) developed a path back that reminds me of a Rube Goldberg chart. As a matter of fact a website started three months ago, presumably immediately after the consecrations, has a diagram with an article that made me laugh. It followed the "choose your own adventure" model. You know, if you answer yes, take this path; if you answer no, take that one. Check it out here.
Well, Rome must be surprised and disappointed. According to reports, only two priests left the SSPX after the consecrations. As far as I can tell, we haven't lost any families from our local chapel. Not only that, but the media is reporting priests leaving diocesan ministry to affiliate with the SSPX. Check out this article on diocesan priests seeking refuge with the Society.
Last year a priest of 21 years ordained for the Archdiocese of Omaha, Fr. David Fulton, left the diocese and affiliated with the SSPX. Since the consecrations, two more priests are in the news for leaving their dioceses.
Fr. David Mary Engo leaves Knoxville
Fr. Philip Conklin leaves archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis
Now here's a question for the pope and bishops. Is it better that these priests leave or continue in ministry to the faithful? I immediately thought of five Arlington priests I knew well who left: one who dissented from the faith to marry a woman I carpooled with, one who came out as homosexual and left to start a bar in D.C., one who left because of bad assignments with homosexual priests, one whistleblower cancelled because he wouldn't shut up about the homosexual priest problem, and one (a former spiritual director of mine) who kept mum about his reasons for leaving. Three of these men were a true loss to the diocese and the faithful to whom they ministered. I pray for them all.
The interview with Fr. Fulton is interesting and eye-opening. He has completed the two-year SSPX priests' training program and has been assigned to ministry in Phoenix. He explains his journey within the diocese of Omaha and his reasons for leaving and affiliating with the SSPX. God bless and protect all priests and may He convert those zealous in scandalizing the flock.
The interview with Fr. Fulton shows the movement of the spirit in the life of a priest who truly wants to serve God and save souls.
O Jesus,
I pray for Your faithful and fervent priests;
for Your unfaithful and tepid priests;
for Your priests labouring at home
or abroad in distant mission fields;
for Your tempted priests;
for Your lonely and desolate priest;
for Your young priests;
for Your dying priests;
for the souls of Your priests in purgatory.
But above all I recommend to You the priests dearest to me;
the priest who baptized me;
the priests who absolved me from my sins;
the priests at whose Masses I assisted
and who gave me Your Body and Blood in Holy communion;
the priests who taught and instructed me;
all the priests to whom I am indebted in any other way.
O Jesus, keep them all close to Your heart,
and bless them abundantly in time and in eternity.
Amen.
No comments:
Post a Comment