Search This Blog

Thursday, April 30, 2009

Take a break from bad news! Matthew 6:26

With lots of people (including me) concerned over (take your choice - no limit): abortion, contraception, the economy, swine flu, global warming, the scandal at Notre Dame, (Sigh!) Arlen Specter's defection to the Democratic party, the upcoming filibuster-proof Senate, heretics in the Church, capital punishment, same-sex marriage, Georgetown and other wicked Catholic schools, (Whew!) the Vagina Monologues, pollution, teen suicide, homosexuals recruiting kids, hate speech used to deny free speech, Planned Parenthood promoting lust, terrorism, weapons of mass destruction. (Sheesh, time for a break.)

Bad news will always be with us until the second coming when the Lord returns to separate the sheep from the goats. In the meantime it's important to remember and ponder Matthew 6:26.

Look at the birds in the sky. They do not sow or reap, they gather nothing into barns; yet your heavenly Father feeds them....Learn a lesson from the way the wild flowers grow. They do not work; they do not spin. Yet I assure you, not even Solomon in all his splendor was arrayed like one of these.

In the interests of practicing what I preach I've been watching the birds today (and doing a little gardening). A little brown wren was perched outside my office window before Mass singing his heart out. I studied him through binoculars and could see his little mouth moving up and down as he warbled - a Pavarotti of the bird world. And what a cheerful song - no Pagliacci for him. After this went on for about fifteen minutes another little wren joined him (Ah, it was a love song!) and they flew off together. Thank God for Spring!

Later in the morning when I was checking my email another pair of birds came to offer entertainment: an eastern bluebird couple. I have two birdhouses nailed to support posts left over from a fence demolished during a windstorm last winter. Every spring the bluebirds check out the larger house, but never stay. I thought when we were tearing down the fence that, perhaps, that would improve the chances of enticing the bluebirds. Maybe the fence rails offered a perch for larger predatory birds and scared them off. Indeed, that may have been the problem because all day the two have been going in and out of the house. I hope they are moving in and not just eying the property. I haven't seen them carrying building materials, but I remain optimistic.

My last sighting for the day was a brief one. A ruby-throated hummingbird came by to see whether the strawberry-shaped feeder was up yet. It isn't, but it will be just as soon as I can cook up some nectar and let it cool for my delightful little friend.

I hope you will take scripture literally today, like me, and "look at the birds in the sky" with a thankful heart. It will lower your blood pressure and bring a smile to your lips. How can it not?

No comments:

Post a Comment