Search This Blog

Monday, February 18, 2013

Justice Dept. Says Home Schooling is NOT a Fundamental Right

The Obama administration is fighting to deport a German family who sought asylum after the German government threatened to take their five children if they continue to home school. The case goes back several years and I wrote about it previously here and here.

The Obama administration is now arguing that home schooling is not a fundamental right. Think about that. The Catholic Church teaches that parents are the primary educators of their children. And, in fact, a major purpose of marriage is the procreation and upbringing (i.e., education) of children. So if parents do NOT have a fundamental right to choose and oversee the education of their children, who does?

Silly question...Big Brother of course! The gospel according to liberals teaches the commandment to honor the village that raises the children. And that village is run by HHS and the Department of Education.

If the government wins on this, the rights of parents over their children here in the U.S. will be seriously threatened.

Read more here. And for more information on homeschooling rights and defense see the Home School Legal Defense Association (HSLDA).

4 comments:

  1. They just want to keep women in the work force continually, so they can fill their quotas, boss them around, tell them what to think, how to dress and what to eat and indoctrinate their children. Many in the public schools want to mandate that all children go to preschool. That is so they can take over our children and grandchildren from the cradle to the grave. I wish the Obama administration would just get the heck out of ours lives. Didn't vote for him, don't want him and don't need him. I am find on my own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops! Mary Anne I should have written, "I am "fine" on my own. If you can change it, please do so, or just post this correction if you cannot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So if you don't homeschool, then you obviously work? I am a stay at home mother to 4 children and am very happy with our excellent public schools. There is no way I could give them the level of education and activities they are enjoying by homeschooling. While I agree that parents should have that choice, I am more of an advocate for our public educational system. I think that every child DOES deserve a free, public education and it is the responsibility and duty of each adult citizen to support that. If you choose to educate your children at home, you are still responsible for supporting the public schools. And I didn't vote for the current president, either, but I don't understand why people think homeschooling is a good option on a large scale. Fear? My school system is large with over 15,000 students, and very diverse (about 1/3 of the students are Christian, 1/3 are Jewish and 1/3 are either Hindu or Muslim). I can't think of a better way to show my kids a picture of the real world, where not everyone believes the same things. And if I disagree with something that they are exposed to, then it is MY job to explain to our kids why we feel that way. It's not the job of the school district to cater to my religious beliefs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad public schooling is working well for you. I have done all three - public, parochial, and home schooling - and I feel differently. But an essential point we both are making is that the parent is the best judge of what is good for the children. That the government should think they have the right to decide for all children over the desires of the parents is tyrannical.

    A parent who is vigilant may be able to protect their children in public school, but a lot depends on the individual teachers and the content of their character. My sister pulled a child out of a public high school in Maryland when her daughter had a homosexual teacher who ridiculed her child in class because she made her pro-life position public. He also encouraged ridicule by fellow students. My daughter-in-law pulled her children out after the middle school (Texas) held the homosexual day of silence without informing parents.

    I would say it isn't "fear" that motivates some of us, but righteous anger. Public schools in general are diverse and tolerant except for Christianity.

    ReplyDelete