Search This Blog

Thursday, December 22, 2022

A Reader comments on Eric Sammons' Article: The Sad Case of Frank Pavone

Crisis Magazine published The Sad Case of Frank Pavone by Eric Sammons a few days ago. Frankly, I'm getting a little tired of the discussion over Fr. Pavone and will probably drop it after this post. But some things are instructive and I think this situation is. Let's face it, celebrity priests do not have a good track record. Have you ever noticed how adulation often builds pride in the one basking in the spotlight? Being the center of attention sometimes makes people think rules don't apply to them -- even God's rules.

Think of Fr. Ken Roberts, Fr. John Corapi, Fr. Thomas Euteneuer, Fr. John McCloskeyFr. Bruce Ritter, and possibly the most infamous, Fr. Marcial Maciel -- celebrity priests all. Don't misunderstand. I'm not saying Fr. Pavone is like any of them. I'm simply pointing out the danger of being a celebrity priest or, for that matter, being a celebrity Catholic layman. Celebrity is a serious danger! Being in the limelight, receiving accolades and awards.... sought out as keynote speakers on national platforms? To say the least, adulation is a heady narcotic, a temptation to pride which, as the Bible says, "goeth before destruction, and a haughty spirit before a fall." (Prov. 16:18) 

For the record, I don't think Fr. Pavone should be laicized. It sounds like the biggest accusation against him is disobedience to his ordinary, although, since there's a question about who that is, it adds to the tangle. Canon lawyer, Fr. Gerald Murray, questioned the legality of the action in an interview with Catholic News Agency. Apparently the public charges are not sufficient for forced dismissal from the priesthood under canon law. No doubt the controversy will continue for some time, one more exhausting battle in the Church. We sure don't need any more. The Vatican opened a real can of worms here, most likely, in my opinion, because of Fr. Pavone's promotion of Donald Trump. (One can certainly question the prudence of his passionate support.)

A friend, Art Benedetti, sent an e-mail commenting on the Crisis Magazine article by Sammons and I thought many of his points were spot on. (The literal meaning of the name "Benedetti" is "good sayings" which makes me smile.) I've known Art for decades. We sidewalk counseled together in Alexandria every week for many years. He is a dedicated pro-life activist who would give you the shirt off his back. He used to live in D.C. near the Missionaries of Charity and spent countless hours helping the sisters with all kinds of projects. He is one of my heroes. I saw him save many babies with his bold confrontation of the men practically dragging their wives/girlfriends into the facility to kill their little ones. Some people objected to his style. All I could respond was, "He saves babies." His voice is one that should be heard. So I'm sharing his email here with his permission:

Sidewalk counseling saves babies from death and moms from regret!

To All: 

There are two separate actions here. One of course is that of being a Priest assigned to a Diocese.

The second is that of running a Corporation.

Fr. Frank Pavone made his choice.  There has been a decades long bartering between Fr. Pavone and his Ordinary.

Certainly Fr. Pavone and the Corporation Priests for Life does fantastic things and will continue to do so no matter who runs the Corporation.

A Priest of God takes an Oath to be Faithful and Obedient to his Ordinary.

Padre PIO remained obedient as have many others.

Our Confession does not begin Bless me Father for I have Sinned not hardly as bad as these others.... We are judged by our Thoughts Words and Actions not in comparison to another's Thoughts Words or Actions.

What greater gift can a Priest of God be given?  Having God truly present in the Eucharist something only a Priest of God can do, Absolving Sins and saving Souls from Eternal Damnation, administering the Sacraments?

 Simply the point is -- being a Priest or a CEO.  Humility is not a gift given to CEO's.

Anyone can now run Priests for Life.

Fr. Pavone could have taken a PFL work sabbatical until he had a new Ordinary, current one to retire soon, but he didn't.

I met Fr. Pavone many times commencing before PFL forming.  I love the guy and wish him the very best.

Please understand that even though Fr. Pavone has been laicized the Corporation Priests for Life gets exceeding financially stronger and wealthier the more controversy is created.

Money does strange things to us Post Conceived Human Beings.

What greater gift is there, other than being a lowly Priest of God?

Merry Christmas to everyone.  

Thank God for Life!

Arturo Benedetti

I'll close with several observations of my own. I've never had any personal contact with Fr. Pavone, but I've certainly admired much of his work from a distance. However, there are things that gave me pause. Even the name of the organization, Priests for Life, was somewhat dishonest. How many priests were involved? The group has never been Catholic. It's inter-denominational and Fr. Pavone actually discouraged praying the rosary at abortion facilities in favor of the psalms, since that wouldn’t offend Protestants. If that doesn't make Catholics a little queasy, they don't consider the rosary much of a weapon against abortion. When I was sidewalk counseling I always depended on the rosary support of those who came so faithfully to pray for Our Lady's intercession. God bless them all. I attribute all our saved babies to those prayer warriors.

I don’t think Fr. Pavone should be forcibly removed from the priesthood, but neither do I think he is a totally innocent party pure as the new-driven snow. There seems to be plenty of evidence that he sees himself as a lone ranger who has no need to listen to his superiors if what they say conflicts with what he wants to do. And the fact that the controversy is fueling a push for even MORE MONEY for a corporation that brings in millions raises a big red flag for me. It doesn’t seem like Fr. Pavone ever accounted for the multi-millions the organization has taken in already, especially in the early years with the understanding that he was going to start a priestly congregation and build a seminary. He abandoned that plan within a few years. Where did all that money go?

This latest controversy, from a financial point of view, is a a great fund-raising opportunity. 

We all need to pray for Fr. Pavone, but I personally won't be sending any money unless there's accountability for the millions already donated.

14 comments:

  1. There is a good video of and interview "Taylor Marshall and Fr. Pavone." This whole situation, is giving me a headache... or better yet... Like a tennis ball in my head going back and forth... Who do you believe, who is telling the truth, etc. Have a Blessed and Holy Christmas and a Happy and Healthy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. According to Father's testimony, his Bishop did not tell him to stop working outside the diocese and refused to give him a parish in ordered him to apply for laissization or he would do it for him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whatever Fr. Frank may or not have done; it did not warrant being tossed from the clerical state. There are countless examples of clergy doing far worse--in fact some of those things get a man promoted! No. It is his pro-life stance and support of Trump.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Read "prolife profiles" on Frank Pavone. A bit dated, but the critique still applies. Also it's bad enough the name priests for life implies that not all priests should be prolife, but he misrepresents Catholic teaching by permitting exceptions. Just like his hero president warp speed. That there are worse priests is beside the point.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hate to give you the news: many of these mega ministries are a scam. They achieve nothing but they are constantly raising money. Years ago I sent a $25 (US) donation to Fr. Pavone. Only 48 hours later I had a request for more funds. Then they started arriving almost daily. I kept them in a separate box as they piled up. I concluded that $200+ were invested in the following months to keep sending me requests for donations over and over and over. Besides my good intentions, those $25 did not do any good.

    I worked for a while for one of those 'ministries' one that all of you know very well. I found out it was a SCAM. In time I was fired after being accused of "planning to rob their business" (the boss used those exact words). See him weekly in EWTN and BTW, he's only feigning being Catholic.

    Many of those 'ministries' are clever traps designed to suck money of the wallets of generous Catholics.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree, Anonymous, and sad to say I think many organizations (including pro-life ones)don't want to solve the problem because that would be the end of their empire. That's one of the reasons I've never asked for money. I've published the Les Femmes newsletter for 27 years and the Blessed Mother has provided. I hardly ever take anyone off the mailing list. I've sent it to every priest in the diocese for free except two who asked to be take off the mailing list. I told Mary I'd publish as long as she provided enough to cover the cost of printing and mailing. When the money runs out I'll retire the hard copy and just keep up the blog. That day may be close. The past newsletters are on-line from 2000 on at lesfemmes-thetruth.org.

    ReplyDelete
  7. While the discipline of obedience is essential, there are certain orders which may be essential to not obey. Are you obligated to follow the orders of a Judas Bishop? I don’t know which category Father Pavone or his Bishop fall in. Before throwing either under a bus, I believe more information is due the laity. I do appreciate your blog, but disagree that “celebrity “ status is always negative.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree, Anonymous. Many saints were "celebrities" in their day. Mother Teresa, Fr. John Hardon, Mother Angelica, and others fit into that category in our time. The danger is that being a celebrity is a serious temptation to pride and pride is a disaster for anyone seeking a closer walk with the Lord. Unless the person is committed to humility, celebrity is a danger that must be shunned for the good of the soul.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A sad comment to write this Christmas of 2022. I am one of those who have been persecuted by the characters now running what used to be the Catholic Church. That old Church is now a church (lowercase) and I am not even sure that the consecration performed is valid. I have to trust that the inaudible words are said correctly. Since I do not trust ANY priest because I can't tell the sincere ones from the hypocrites, I must refrain. How do I know if the wafer was not consecrated to the Pachamama?

    I came into the Church a few decades ago. Canonically it was a valid baptism. I still believe in the doctrine the Church had from 33 A.D. to 1958 A.D. when things began to change after the death of Pius XII.

    Right now, I must go. I was beaten long enough. I have my Rosary and a Crucifix and enough holy books to read for the rest of my life. You can have that thing you call "the Church". It is just another make believe church like the lutherans, the calvinists, the baboba witnesses, etc. I have no business sharing the pew with abortionists, pedophiles, homosexualists, etc.

    I has not been a pleasure. I should have left after the Assisi idolatrous act, long ago.

    I do not believe what this choich prays. I sincerely don't. Pavone or not Pavone.

    Bye-bye!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous,

    Please don't go; we need you! There have been many bad popes and many challenging times that test the faith. But Jesus promised not to abandon His Church and He hasn't. He keeps His promises. I avoid the Novus Ordo myself as much as possible because, although it's valid (as long as the priest intends to do what the Church intends, and many do), it seems to me to be the sacrifice of Cain. My husband and I attend an SSPX chapel and the TLM where it is still allowed (for now) in the diocese.

    St. Francis de Sales once said that those who commit scandal (like Pope Francis and many of the bishops) commit spiritual murder; but those who let that scandal destroy their faith commit spiritual suicide.

    Please don't go. We need faithful warrior to fight and console the heart of Jesus. Like St. Paul says, we can make up for what's lacking in the suffering of Christ by offering our own suffering in union with Him and persevering in courage.

    ReplyDelete
  11. As I wrote initially...when we go to Confession on Earth or at Judgement day, we are judged by OUR Thoughts Words & Actions OUR SINS not on how we compare to anyone else.
    I was asked by the Boston Globe many moons ago why I was at the Abortion Mills. My protestant Minister friend and DC Street Preacher Jim Rudd said to save babies. Even my dear friend Nellie G. also talked about saving babies at abortion Mills. My response is now as it was then, to SAVE SOULS, first my soul and then all others involved in assisting in the abortion whichever side. SAVING SOULS.

    God bless all we
    POST CONCEIVED
    HUMAN BEINGS


    ReplyDelete
  12. Response to Mary Ann,

    Where I live there is a Pachamama planter in every church, some right on the altar. Pachamama is the antithesis of the Virgin Mary. How could I go to a 'mass' to such a place. Scandal is reaching unheard of proportions. Yesterday I was told a PRIEST is openly seeking men sexual partners in TINDER. OPENLY. I am not even close to happy.
    There is an SSPX chapel some distance away from my home. I went there once. I won't go again. I do not think I am welcome there. I am going to try on another chapel of a different rite. I do not plan to ask the Bergoglians permission to change rites. They hold no authority. I will sort that out with Jesus in prayer.
    It is them who ceased being Catholic. We are under Apostolic mandate to cease to associate "not even eating" with apostates. I am obeying St. Paul.
    We should leave every parish desolate: zero attendance. God can provide good priests in the middle of nowhere. As long as we attend the Mixed Sheep & Goats temples there will be confusion. Sheep to the right, goats to the left. Follow Jesus: buildings are of no importance.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous,

    I'm so sorry for your experience at the chapel. Ours is one of the most welcoming places I've ever been. But we are small and a new face is immediately recognized and sought out. I cannot blame anyone who chooses to embrace another rite even one not in communion with Rome. I sometimes wonder if the Great Schism was allowed because God, in His Providence, saw the horrors of our time. Since they allow contraception and divorce, I could never go that way, but in times as confusing as ours, I cannot sit in judgment of others who choose differently. You are in my prayers and I beg yours as well. May we all meet merrily in heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Response to Mary Ann,

    The rite I chose is in communion with Rome, a chapel that serves the Syrian-Lebanese community in a neighborhood relatively close by.

    I do not want communion with anyone who says things like: Mary was just another woman, Jesus was a good communist, do not convince others of your faith, this is the age of the pachamama, etc. etc.

    I do not want to approach a defiled altar. I want to know that I receive the Body and Blood from A MAN.

    I am in communion with every true Catholic in the whole world. Benedict XVI is a true Pope and martyr.

    God bless you, Mary Ann!

    ReplyDelete