If you accept the classical division, you know that we're all a combination of the four temperaments: sanguine, choleric, melancholic and phlegmatic. I heavily lean toward the choleric and melancholic combination which is kind of like a mournful crusader rabbit. But I'm also cheerful and outgoing, my sanguine self. And then there's my procrastinating side, the phlegmatic. I sometimes want to hide under the bed and suck my thumb. Yes we are all a mixed bag.
In view of my long experience with the pro-life movement the choleric/melancholic assessment rings true. I have cried many times over the murder of the babies while I've fought for them. I remember once giving a slide presentation on fetal development and abortion. When I put up one photo of late term babies tortured and murdered through saline abortions, I had to stop until I could control my grief.
Think of the millions of little ones growing silently in the deep stillness of the womb suddenly attacked by the abortionist with the complicity of their own mothers. Seeing an ultrasound video of an abortion began the conversion of Bernard Nathanson. He saw the Silent Scream of the little one trying to get away from the abortionist's knife and never performed another abortion.
Do I talk too much about abortion? My sister got after me for talking about it being illegal to feed seagulls in Massachusetts but you can kill a baby up to birth. I certainly wasn't equating the babies with seagulls, but was pointing out the insanity of the law in Massachusetts that treats the murder of full-term infants like clipping your toenails.
At any rate, since time is all one to God, I will consider myself a combination of all the days of the week and, especially on Sundays, will do all I can to be bonnie and blithe and good and gay (in the old sense when it meant something beautiful instead of its ugly connotation today).
Whatever day you were born, make today a good one! Begin it with prayer: Adoration, Contrition, Thanksgiving, and Supplication: ACTS! If you do that, it can't help but be a good day.
From your writing I would never guess that you are melancholic. I am also, though born on a Saturday. For the past ten years or so, I do most of my crying at Holy Mass. I don't really know why though I think there are many reasons, the first of which is my gratefulness for the Tridentine Mass.
ReplyDelete