Search This Blog

Sunday, August 16, 2026

Sunday Meditation: A Day of Rest

I love the description of Sunday as a "day of rest." It comes from Genesis. God worked for six days and then He rested giving us the example of how important it is to "keep holy the Lord's day." It belongs to Him, not to us.

This morning at Mass the image came to me from the Irish blessing. 

May the road rise to meet you.

May the wind be always at your back. 

May the sun shine warm upon your face, 

The rains fall soft upon your fields, 

And until we meet again, 

May God hold you in the palm of His hand.

There's another version I much prefer. (So did my mom.) The last line changes to "May God hold you in the hollow of His hand." Look at your hand, cup it and see how it becomes a resting place. I watched mothers with their babies this morning with their little ones' heads resting in the hollow of their hands. I thought of our Blessed Mother cradling the head of Jesus after He was taken down from the cross and laid in her arms. 


Today let us take our rest in the arms of Jesus and Mary, laying aside any servile work and, instead, focusing our minds and hearts on the love our Blessed Lord has for each one of us. Let us all rest today in the hollow of His hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment