Two of my grandsons were visiting on Wednesday. They like to go to the chess club at the library and I love to take them so off we went. During their visit they mentioned that they were putting up the Halloween village that night. Decorating for the ghosts and ghouls rivals even Christmas these days. It's not a trend I like. On the other hand, if you're going to do it, christianize it. Make at least some of those decorations reflect the faith. How about putting a few monuments in the cemetery: a crucifix, a monument to our lady, the staue of a saint, etc. I have a little collection of miniatures some of which could easily be used in an All Hallow's Eve village.
Traditionally All Hollow's Eve was a Christian feast preceding All Saints Day. Here's a bit about its origin:
All Hallow’s Eve origin
Since the beginnings of Christianity, Catholics have honored and commemorated deceased holy women and men. Early Christians looked to martyrs and saints, people who gave their lives entirely to Christ, for guidance and inspiration.
On May 13, 732, Pope Gregory III dedicated a chapel in St. Peter’s Basilica in Rome to all the saints and martyrs, beginning what would become an annual celebration of the feast of All Saints throughout the Church.
Eight centuries later, Pope Gregory IV moved All Saints' Day from May 13 to Nov. 1 out of concern for the pilgrims who packed Rome during the hot weather for the feast day celebrations. The Church began celebrating All Hallow’s Eve on Oct. 31.
For the ancient Celts, Oct. 31 was the feast of Samhain, which recognized harvest season’s end and the beginning of the cold, harsh winter. The Celts believed ghosts of the dead returned to earth on Oct. 31, the night before their new year began, a time when realms of the dead and living could converge.
Many modern-day Halloween traditions derive from a blend of All Hallow’s Eve, All Saints and Samhain celebrations. [Source]
I was horrified one Halloween to open the door and find a pretty little girl about nine years old with a hatchet in her head and fake blood pouring down her face. After giving her the candy, I asked, "Whatever happened to gypsies and fairies?" It seemed gruesome was in vogue and not just among the boys.
Now don't get me wrong, boys seem to love gruesome, and I get it. Every boy is dragon-fighter at heart. One can't fight dragons with a feather after all. When I taught fourth grade the boys loved it when I told stories about the martyrs, the more gruesome the better it seemed. They were particularly intrigued by the torture of the North American Martyrs. A friend's son once dressed up for all saints day as John the Baptist with his head through a cardboard "table" with his surrounded by the silver platter.The girls were more likely to be nuns, angels, St. Lucy with her crown of candles or the Blessed Mother. I don't expect to see that for the secular celebration, but I much prefer girls to be princesses, brides, fairies, or gypsies when I answer the door.
We don't get any visitors at our house on Halloween -- too few homes on our street and a very long driveway. So we always go to our daughter's house to be the candy distributors while they walk the neighborhood. They always have a costume theme and everyone participates, even Mom and Dad. This year it's Star Wars. Past Halloweens have been Alice in Wonderland, the Wizard of Oz, Pokemon, and others I've forgotten. Sometimes Larry and I dress up too. I've been a queen bee and he's been a beekeeper in the past for square dancing parties. Dressing up is harmless fun. But wouldn't it be wonderful to actually emphasize the All Hallow's Eve element and go out dressed as saints? How about giving out little thank you cards at every home for the candy with a picture of a saint and a wish for a Blessed All Hallow's Eve.
The Church has a history of sanctifying the culture. You can't just create a vacuum by eliminating something. You need to fill it or the devil may return to the empty house with other demons more wicked than himself. The Church replaced Saturnalia with Christmas. Pagan Spring festivities were replaced by Easter.
Let's take back Halloween with Fall festivals that celebrate the harvest as a blessing from God and visits to cemeteries to pray for the souls of those buried there. If you want to have ghosts in your Halloween cemetery, how about adding a crucifix or a headstone dedicated to Our Lady or a statue of a saint. Don't we all have tiny things that reflect the faith that would fit perfectly in the All Hallow's Eve village. In my village (if I ever have one) there would definitely be a monument to St. Joan of Arc.
No comments:
Post a Comment