Search This Blog

Sunday, February 14, 2021

Sunday Meditation: Are You Ready for Lent?

 Lent begins on Wednesday. Am I ready? I’m reading a chapter from the Imitation of Christ every morning and it’s humbling to find how often it is acutely relevant to the season. This morning I read: “I will speak to You, Lord Jesus, ‘though I am but dust and ashes (Gen 18:27),.’ If I think myself any better, You stand opposed to me, and what is more, my own sins bear witness against me. This evidence I cannot deny. But if I humble myself, admit my insignificance, rid myself of all self-esteem, and regard myself as the mere dust that I am, then Your grace will come to me and the light of Your understanding enter into my heart; so that, through perfect knowledge of my wretchedness, all self-esteem will be lost in the depths of my nothingness.”

Wow! How appropriate as I prepare to begin the Lenten journey!

What a message to a person living in a culture where self-esteem is an idol, where everyone expects a trophy for participation and an A+ for writing his name at the top of the test. What a reality check!

Before God we are nothing.....but then — HE DIED OUT OF LOVE FOR US!

When I think of my sins, especially those of ingratitude and presumption, I want to call on the mountains to fall on me and hide me (Luke 23:30) like Adam hiding in the garden after he sinned. How can I sin against God Who loves me so much? How can I not run to Him and fall on my knees in awe and gratitude?

So how will I begin this Lent? Trying to see myself in the light of Christ? 

Who are You, Lord? And who am I as I kneel before you? In fear and trembling I beg You to show me the state of my soul that I might repent of every sin and fault and be transformed by your grace. Help me get ready to make Lent in a way that opens the door of my heart to let You in. 

My Jesus I trust in You!

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful post! Thanks so much for this timely reminder!

    ReplyDelete