Search This Blog

Monday, July 25, 2011

Feast of St. James the Greater

St. James the Greater (St. John's brother) is one of my favorite heavenly heroes. Jesus called the two brothers "sons of thunder" which probably reflected their fiery temperaments, but I can't help thinking whimsically that it also may have been the nickname of their dad, Zebedee. After all, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. Tradition tells us St. James went off to Spain to preach, but returned to Jerusalem where he died a martyrs death, the first apostle to do so, a victim of Herod's desire to placate the Jews. Catholic historian, St. Eusebius, whose feast day is August 2nd (my daughter Jamie's birthday) says that St. James converted his accuser and both were beheaded together, another graphic testimony to his zeal and love for God!

Santiago's magnificent cathedral is dedicated to the saint. When my daughter was teaching at the University of Santiago fifteen years ago I visited for about two weeks and attended daily Mass with my little granddaughter while my daughter worked. I usually got lost walking home and had to reorient myself by the cathedral spires. On Sunday we went to the main Mass and marveled at the giant incensor being swung in the sanctuary. What a sight! Not long ago Pope Benedict had that same experience and watching the video of his visit brought back many fond memories for me.



Much as I love St. James the Greater, I am equally fond of St. James "the lesser," cousin of Jesus and author of the Epistle. (Feast day May 3rd) I love him for his no holds barred approach to faith. "You show me your faith, I'll show you my actions." As the head of the Church in Jerusalem, he was obviously no stranger to suffering and was certainly aware of the martyrdom of the "greater" James. In his letter to the "twelve tribes in the dispersion" who fled in the face of growing persecution, he gets right down to brass tacks after the greeting:
Count it pure joy when you are involved in every sort of trial. Realize that when your faith is tested this makes for endurance. Let endurance come to its perfection so that you may be fully mature and lacking in nothing.
No sugar-coated Christianity from St. James. "Happy the man who holds out to the end through trial!" He urged the flock to "welcome the word that has taken root" and warned them to put it into action. Was he thinking of his martyred friend when he wrote these words? "If all you do is listen to it, you are deceiving yourselves." And then those famous lines:
What good is it to profess faith without practicing it? Such faith has no power to save one, has it? If a brother or sister has nothing to wear and no food for the day, and you say to them, "Good-bye and good luck! Keep warm and well fed," but do not meet their bodily needs, what good is that? So it is with the faith that does nothing in practice. It is thoroughly lifeless. To such a person one might say, "You have faith and I have works -- is that it? Show me your faith without works, and I will show you the faith that underlies my works!
His warning about use of the tongue cuts to the quick. It must be controlled like a bit controls a horse or a rudder controls a ship because the tongue is like a "tiny spark that sets a huge forest ablaze." When used for good it sets hearts on fire. When used for ill its fire is "kindled by hell." Don't we all have problems with controlling that "small member?"

I'm re-reading St. James' epistle today. I think St. James the Greater would approve that as an appropriate way to honor his feast day. Although he never had the opportunity to read it during his lifetime, I have no doubt he is well aware of it in heaven and rejoices when Christians read and heed. I invite you to join me and then choose an action as small as making a phone call, praying the chaplet of Divine Mercy for someone living a sinful life, writing an encouraging note, or fixing a meal for a sick neighbor or a new mom. Every action we do for the Lord reflects our faith. It is especially important to pray for and encourage those who have gone astray just as St. James the Greater did by leading his accuser to the truth. As St. James the lesser says in closing his letter:
Remember this: the person who brings a sinner back from his way will save his soul from death and cancel a multitude of sins.
St. James and St. James, pray for us today. For more about St. James the Greater go here.) For more on St. James the Lesser go here.

(And thanks to Janet for clearing up my confusion about the two saints.)

No comments:

Post a Comment