Search This Blog

Saturday, July 9, 2011

On Irish Dance and Toddler Beauty Queens

I was reading the program for the Shenandoah County Fair this morning and saw the schedule for "Wee-Baby through Pre-Teen" beauty pageant complete with a  photo of the tiny tots bedecked in tiaras and sashes lined up for the judges. For just one instant I thought how cute some of my little granddaughters would look all gussied up -- and they could certainly beat all those other tots. Then the thought, "Yikes! Am I nuts?" Who would put a tiny child in that virtual reality nightmare?  But the madness and meanness isn't restricted to the beauty pageant circuit as I found in reading a delightful blog post this morning called The Jig's Up about Irish dancing. Seems like the nonsense is everywhere, even in an activity that ought to offer the option of being just for fun!

3 comments:

  1. Mary Ann, although I came in second place in a "beauty" contest as a child (it was more of a popularity contests than anything) and was a homecoming princess as a teenager, I agree with you. I did not enter either one of my two daughters in such things even though they were pretty. The contest Miss California entered was rigged. I believe they knew all along that she could not win if she was for marriage between a man and a woman only. Also, why would a homosexual want to judge a female beauty contest as one did? They should be disqualified from such things because of their abnormal attitudes toward women. Most of the contests for older girls and women encourage young women to dress too provocatively is another reason I agree with you. It is all right to admire a girl's or woman's beauty, along with her good character, but it is not all right to encourage her to be too seductive by wearing inappropriate or immodest clothing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the way, the "beauty" contest I was in in elementary school did not have the girls dress up with makeup, it was all natural. Still I think they are silly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why anyone would want to display their children as a farmer might display a prize horse or cow is beyond me. I think it's absolutely degrading and dehumanizing. I won't watch those things.

    ReplyDelete