Search This Blog

Sunday, August 28, 2022

Do You Listen to Gossip, Slander, and Detraction: Learn a Lesson from Socrates!

I receive a daily devotional from the SSPX. The other day this fascinating meditation and story about Socrates gave me an intriguing insight into the need to close our ears to gossip, slander, and detraction. When we "listen," we become guilty of the same sin as the tale-bearer. 

What a life's ambition Socrates had -- to pursue truth and encourage others to join him. Imagine the difference we would see in our culture if knowing and spreading truth were the central goal of every man and woman on the planet. 

Consider...God is Truth, so if you are searching for truth, you are searching for God. I once said that to an abortion supporter named Dan at an Operation Rescue event in Washington, D.C. I told him that he seemed to me to be a young man searching for the truth and, if you are searching for truth, you are searching for God. That happened over 30 years ago and I still pray for Dan today. I hope he is pursuing truth and has found it in Jesus Christ.

I offer this meditation today for you and for myself. I want always to be a truth teller who is searching for the ultimate Truth in God. I'd love to hear your opinion about the meditation and about your experiences with the truth. The world wants us to believe, with Pontius Pilate, that truth doesn't exist, that all is either unknowable or relative. But truth exists and finding it is to find the pearl of great price, because God Himself is Truth!
Unfortunately it is not rare that we take a certain pleasure in hearing slander. Yet let us not forget that those who listen to words of detraction are guilty of the same detraction, because obviously there would be no slander if there were no ears eager to hear it. Detraction, backbiting, calumny all succeed because of the ears open to receive it. Let us look at the philosophical view that Socrates took of the subject, pagan though he was, in the 5th century before Christ. 
One day, someone came to see the famous philosopher and the conversation began. 
“Listen, Socrates, I absolutely have to tell you how your friend behaved.”
“Stop,” interrupted the wise man. “Have you sifted three times what you are going to tell me?” 
“Sifted three times?” the other answered, astonished. 
“Yes, my good friend, sifted three times. Let us consider if what you have to tell me can pass through all three sieves. The first is the sieve of truth. Have you checked whether or not what you are going to tell me is true?” 
“No, I heard it said, and...” 
“Fine, fine. But surely you ran it through the second sieve. The sieve of goodness. If what you have to tell me is not quite true, is it at least something good?” 
“No, it is not something good – on the contrary...” 
“Hmmm!” replied the wise man. “Let us try to pass it through the third sieve and see whether or not what you want to tell me is useful.” 
“Useful? Not exactly...” 
“Well then,” said Socrates, smiling, “if what you want to tell me is neither true, nor good, nor even useful, I prefer not to know it. As for you, I advise you to forget it.” 
What a lesson, coming from a pagan! 
Lord Jesus, help me to close my ears, also, to words of ill will, uttered against my neighbor, that I may not fail in charity.

Wow! What a lesson. Telling the truth can have serious consequences as the fate of Socrates was execution. And many throughout history suffered the same fate. Today, many prefer to have their ears tickled rather than to hear the truth that men cannot change themselves into women and women cannot change themselves into men no matter how many chemicals they consume or surgeries they undergo. We are what God made us. That is simply the truth, but prepare to be cancelled if you say it. 

Rejoice if you are found worthy to be persecuted if you dare to tell the truth, for yours is the kingdom of heaven!

Prayer against slander and slanderers from the Imitation of Christ: 

“From such tales and from such indiscreet folk, protect me, O Lord! Do not let me fall into their power, nor behave in the same way myself... For what I do not tolerate in others, I must myself avoid at all costs. To remain silent about others makes for peace and goodwill, neither believing all that is said, nor repeating what one has heard... May we not allow ourselves to be carried to and fro by the windy blast of words, but rather pray that all our life, both public and private, may be ordered in conformity to Your Will.”

2 comments:

  1. Unless you are warning someone of danger to themselves or their children.

    ReplyDelete