Search This Blog

Friday, August 12, 2022

What Will Be Your Last Words?

If you were the bug in that chicken's mouth what would be your last words?

Browsing my email this morning, I came across a headline asking, "What will be your last words?" I didn't read the article, a sermon for the feast of St. Lawrence. I've avoided the author for years after his severe criticism of home schooling parents. 

Goodness! It's been 25 years since I was a home schooling mom! Maybe I should go back and read his sermon. I've certainly changed in 25 years; no doubt the priest has as well. But I digress.

What do I want my last words to be? What should they be?

The first words that popped into my mind were, "Lord Jesus, be merciful to me a sinner." Reflecting on my last day and the reality that I will face the heavenly judge has a way of focusing my mind. Is it really worth risking an eternity in fire for a little pleasure today? Does He who loved me enough to stretch out His arms on the cross and shed every last drop of His blood deserve my ingratitude in return?

The answer to that is obvious!

St. Robert Bellarmine, cardinal and doctor of the Church, exhorted his priests to preach on the four last things at least once a month. Interesting, eh? When was the last time you heard a sermon on death and judgment? 

The other day one of our chickens spied a cricket and pursued it until in three sharp pecks and bites she consumed it. Death is coming for me; death is coming for you. None of us will escape having our bodies consumed by "chickens." Our souls are eternal which inspires the question: "To what do I give more attention? My body? Or my soul?"

St. Clare, pray for us!
Today is St. Clare's feast day. She spent her entire life focused on loving her bridegroom, Jesus. She spent her day concerned about the good of her soul and the souls of others. 

Today, her spiritual daughters continue to live a life of prayer and austerity atoning for the sins of the world and living an apostolate of intercession for others. She and her spiritual daughters are great intercessors. 

St. Clare, please help me to remember that death is certain and that I should live every day as if it's my last. Help me to imitate your great love!

St. Clare, pray for us.



No comments:

Post a Comment