Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Prayer: The Catholic Response to Evil

This email was forwarded to me by a friend. While you are writing your Christmas cards, how about including one for the priests and parishioners in Newtown at St. Rose of Lima Church. Nearly half of the murdered children were from their parish. Wouldn't it be wonderful to send an outpouring of love to the priests and parishioners so they know the mystical body of Christ is united with them as they suffer. God bless you all in these last days of Advent. I've highlighted the address in the email below:
All of you, I am sure, have heard so much about the tragedy in Newtown, CT. Many of you have received emails from me about my younger brother, Father Luke Suarez, who is a priest at St. Rose of Lima parish, a Catholic church just down the road from Sandy Hook Elementary. He, and his pastor, Monsignor Weiss, arrived at the school within moments of the shooting, and have been caring for the community ever since....
My large family has been trying to send Father Luke our love and support from afar, and one of my brothers was able to visit with him briefly a couple times. All he asks for is prayer.

I have been wracking my brain, trying to think of a way that our beautiful, loving community could tangibly reach out to Father Luke, Monsignor Weiss, and the St. Rose parish, to support them in this most awful of times. I have sent many prayer requests, and I am asking for more prayers again. But I also want to ask everyone to search their hearts, and if the Holy Spirit moves you, please consider sending one of your family's Christmas cards to the rectory, with a few words of love and encouragement. Here is his address:

Father Luke Suarez 
St. Rose of Lima Catholic Church 
46 Church Hill Road
Newtown, CT 06470

My brother has said over and over again that without the prayer support he is receiving, he could not keep going. And this week is only the beginning. Everyone there is still in shock. Their peaceful home has been desecrated by violence. They will need to live with this sorrow forever.  
But in our weakness is His strength. Grace abounds. Can you help me carry him through this time of trial?

On a hopeful note, Father Luke did say that no media coverage has even touched the deep, beautiful awakening of faith that has occurred there. Their tiny church, where my children have received sacraments and where Luke was ordained, has been full of people in prayer without ceasing since this tragedy happened. Love is stronger than death.

Please feel free to share the address with your family, friends, and community. An outpouring of love will sustain these good priests through their impossible ministry--impossible on their own, but possible with God.

I am so grateful to live in this community. We are all so blessed with one another. Every day, I see you all loving one another as Christ loved. Thank you for letting me reach out to you now.

With humble appreciation,

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting - I want to send something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting, I will send my prayers and love in a Christmas Card to Father Luke !
    God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Speaking of evil, do you think that this petition looks legit? I want to sign it, but only if it is not fake. The Asylum is such an awful show!

    http://www.catholicintl.com/index.php/latest-news/1107-jewish-fox-tv-desecrating-catholic-church-sign-petition-now

    -Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is such a program, Dawn. I checked it out. I have never seen it and have no idea how it portrays the Church, but from the blurbs I read about episodes it sounds awful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. But is the petition fake? You think?

    -Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  6. I sent a Christmas card and a small check to the pastor to use in comforting those who are grieving. It was not much, but it might help him buy some gas or booklet to help a grieving family. It is horrible that they are receiving threats against the church too. What monsters would do such a thing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mary Ann, I checked this out from their website, and it is the correct address for the church and Fr. Suarez. I forgot to do that before I sent my card and check, but it seems to be right as Eternal Word Television Network has said these priests really need our prayers and help because they feel so overwhelmed by what has happened. It seems the very devil has been let loose.

    ReplyDelete
  8. http://americaneedsfatima.blogspot.com/2012/11/satanic-american-horror-story-asylum.html

    Hi! I found out recently that this petition is legit. Asylum is a disgusting TV show on FX. This petition for it to be cancelled is from America Needs Fatima. The other link I sent about this was from a traddie site that did not seem to be in union with Rome. However, they received the info from America Needs Fatima. Everyone, please sign this petition.

    -Dawn

    ReplyDelete