Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 16, 2013

New Year's Resolution: Pray Liturgy of the Hours

I'm happy to say that I kept my new year's resolution in 2012 not to buy any new clothes. I even kept out of the thrift stores and didn't buy any used clothes either. Yesterday at Costco was the first time I've purchased an item of clothing. After a year, I'll leave you to guess what I bought. I also found some sparkly pink slippers on sale at Kohl's for 80% off. Why should the little ones get all the glittery fun?

This year's resolution is a work in progress. I'm going to follow in the steps of St. Catherine of Sienna and pursue joining the Third Order Dominicans, something I've thought about for years. (Yes, St. Catherine was a third order LAY member of the Dominicans, not a nun as many think.) I met with the novice master and went to my first community gathering last week. One of the commitments is to pray Morning and Evening prayer from the Liturgy of the Hours. I had the book already because I've tried (unsuccessfully) to do it in the past. My discipline was lacking as well as the confusion of the one-volume book. But the internet is a big help. I check where I think I'm supposed to be with the schedule online and if I'm in the wrong place, get myself back to the right one. After the Eucharist, the most importance practice in the Church is Liturgy of the Hours. (Although, I think the practice a person follows through on is the most important in practical terms.)

But there is something particularly exciting about praying through the day with the Church knowing millions of others are in union with you. That union is one of the signs of the Church, or maybe two. We are one and we are Catholic (universal). I am happy to be with the one true Church that surrounds the entire globe praying in union with my spiritual brothers and sisters. Kind of exciting, don't you think? Of course we do that every day at Mass as well and daily Mass is the most important spiritual work anyone can do.

You don't have to be a member of a religious or lay order to pray Liturgy of the Hours. Just buy a copy of it and refer to the help sites on the internet. Actually, you don't even need to buy the book. You can pray it on-line and even download it to your I-pad or I-phone. If I'm not mistaken there's an app if you have technology to support one.

2 comments:

  1. That is great news. . I've been praying the Morning Prayer pretty regularly for the past few years, but always seem to de-rail as the day progresses. .just this past Advent I've made a true effort to begin praying the Evening prayers, as well, and I find that around 4:00pm I start to think about needing to begin it(before I start dinner and while my children are still occupied) and I just need to now follow through on those urgings. Good Luck on your journey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Check out: DailyOffice dot org.
    This is a British site that lets you download it as a podcast (I use RSS feed reader for this but they also have an App for your cellphone).

    Universalis is also excellent: and has an app for your cellphone.

    ReplyDelete