Search This Blog

Friday, March 19, 2010

Diary of a Wimpy Kid

I have a fourth grade grandson who absolutely loves Diary of a Wimpy Kid. Last time he came for a visit he shared large portions of it, reading it to us out loud to everyone's great entertainment. So when I saw the other day that a film based on the book had come out I thought it would be fun to go.

After reading a review of it I'm not so sure. The film, it seems, burst a pipe in the potty humour department and it spews forth throughout the film. Hey, if I want to see and smell pee and poop I'll drive over to a sewage treatment plant. Why are movie-makers so enamored of bodily waste?

Take a look at the review for yourself. From what I've heard listening to my grandson read, the book series is cute and funny. Sounds like the movie took a wrong turn. On the other hand, reviewers don't always get it right.

Have you seen it? What do you think?

7 comments:

  1. The books are great. I got a huge laugh from them.

    If the movie is as good as the book, then no one would have any issues bringing the entire family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why the potty humor? Why bodily functions are funny? I am sorry but you are kidding right?
    These things are funny to kids becuase they are the initial taboos. Sit up straight, don't wet your pants, Johnny quit farting at the table!!
    So, come on Grandma you were a kid once, just as I. Lighten up your grandchild hears worse at school and your TV. Laugh have fun and share this time with him. He will never forget it and if and when he has trouble in his life and he can't talk to the old folks, he'll talk to you.
    prchrken

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, but a little bit goes a long way. All things in moderation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As the mom of said grandkid, I am on the fence about the books to begin with. It's about as far as I want to encourage him to read potty humor. Dude can come up with that all on his own *without* the books, and even though he *might* hear worse at school, that is not the same thing as mom and dad being ok with him purposely being exposed to it.

    Personally, when J gets excited to read about St. Paul and St. Peter, I'd rather nourish *that* habit above the potty language.

    BTW, we picked up a book about St. Peter and his adventures that J is *totally* stoked about reading tomorrow before bedtime prayers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooops! you said 4th grade, not 3rd grade, lol. Sorry, I'm not said grandkid's mom at all!! But, this is one of J's favorite series too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a book called The Man Who Never Died about St. Peter. Does J. have that one? I'll send it along if he doesn't. Gotta encourage reading about those real heroes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. YES! That's the book we picked out! The chapters are short so it should be lots of fun for him to read each night. We're looking forward to it. We also have a book about the adventures of St. Paul that he will probably read to us soon too.

    :)

    ReplyDelete