Search This Blog

Friday, March 19, 2010

One More Reason to Love Texas!

I have four big reasons and ten smaller ones to love the state of Texas. Let me explain. I have two married children there and ten grandchildren (one still in the womb who definitely counts as the littlest treasure in the family).

But I now have another reason to love the state. Texans some common sense, even the education bureaucrats. (In most states describing an "education bureaucrat with common sense" would be an oxymoron.)

According to Phyllis Schlafly's article linked below much of the politically correct nonsense got the axe when the State Board of Education told liberals to stop messing around with social studies curricula. If you care about the future you need to care about what's taught to the children and Texas is taking a stand. Here are just three paragraphs about the Texas reaction to the bogus "separation of church and state" nonsense:
Texas curriculum standards will henceforth accurately describe the U.S. government as a "constitutional republic" rather than as a democracy. The secularists tried to remove reference to the religious basis for the founding of America, but that was voted down.

The Texas Board rejected the anti-Christian crowd's proposal to eliminate the use of B.C. and A.D. for historic dates, as in Before Christ and Anno Domini, and replace them with B.C.E., as in Before the Common Era, and C.E.

The deceptive claim that the United States was founded on a "separation of church and state" gets the ax, and rightfully so. In fact, most of the original thirteen colonies were founded as Christian communities with much overlap between church and state.  

The education standards in Texas are particularly important because the state is the largest textbook purchaser in the country. As Mrs. Schlafly points out, "Publishers can hardly afford to print different versions for other states, so Texas curriculum standards have nationwide influence."

So give a great big Hurrah for Texas!

We just returned from visiting our children there and I took the photo on the right at the welcome center on Rt. 10 coming in from Louisiana. Virginia is my first love, but if I had to identify a rival it's Texas. Like Davey Crockett is reputed to have said after losing his reelection bid to Congress, "Y'all can go to hell; I'm going to Texas." In view of what's going on in Congress these days, Crockett was a prophet.

Now if we could just get Texas to secede, I think I'd really want to head for its wide open spaces.

Texas Kicks Out Liberal Bias From Textbooks

2 comments:

  1. Even though I am from Oklahoma, I have to admire the denizens of our second greatest state.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a big fan of Texas myself!

    Some years ago I was driving a big rig through the state. What seemed like hours of lonely road behind me (no vehicles either), I pulled up into a deserted town and stopped at its only four corners.

    As I sat there, up pulled the longest baby blue Cadillac I'd ever seen; complete with bull horns on the hood! Behind the wheel was a man whose white cowboy hat nearly matched the size of his Caddy; our eyes met, with two fingers he simply dipped his hat in my directio, and that was that, he took off...

    I traveled on alone again for many more hours... That's country!

    Now, if I could just get my wife to feel the same way...

    Maybe, I could work the educational angle? Yea, yea... I'll try it.

    JME

    ReplyDelete