Search This Blog

Thursday, January 23, 2014

Time Out...

I'm on forced time out this week....and for many weeks ahead. On Monday I had surgery to repair what the doctor described as a"massive" rotary cuff tear. When I tell people how I did it they laugh, so I've been a real source of entertainment. Fact is, we were visiting our son and his family in Austin for Thanksgiving and took the grandkids to a skateboard park. (You can no doubt see what's coming.) The kids made it look so easy, I decided to try it. A split second later....

That was November 30th and now,here I am almost two months later facing months of recovery and physical therapy and trying to do things with only one arm. I know personally now what people mean when they call someone. "My right hand man." That's my husband.

The good news is that I should get return of full range of motion. And the not quite so good news is that it will take lots of work to get back what was so easily lost. But it's also been an opportunity: to appreciate my husband who is taking such good care of me, to realize how hard it is to be the wounded Jew dependent on others, to experience a little what those in chronic pain experience every day, to shift, at least for a time, from being an activist to being a contemplative.

As He has with every other event in my life including having cancer at 39, God is demonstrating that "All things work together for good to those who love the Lord and serve according to His purpose." May He be praised now and forever!

3 comments:

  1. You don't need two hands to type your blog! Just peck away with one hand. Here's hoping you have a very speedy recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I'm sorry you got hurt but I'm glad you're a cool grandma.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Prayers for your recovery! Isn't it nice that you need only one hand for the Rosary?

    ReplyDelete