Search This Blog

Saturday, October 24, 2015

I Don't Want to Scare You, but Maybe You Should Be...


Read this bit from the story. It's chilling:

About two years ago I was at a remote party store with my daughter, who is 30 but looks much younger. She went into the store and I stayed in the truck right outside the front doors. The owner of the store emerged in the front of the glass doors, spoke on his phone as he stared out at me. He did this for about two minutes and it struck me as odd. He never waved, nodded or acknowledged me, but I knew he saw me. About 30 seconds later, a little sports car came through the parking lot, so fast I thought he wouldn’t be able to make the corner to go behind the store. As he passed, I noticed his windows were tinted so dark you couldn’t see the driver. The car sped around the back of the building and I sat there waiting for my daughter. Then a thought ran through my head: They came to get my daughter. 
I grabbed my keys and phone then ran inside. My daughter stood at the front counter and the owner on the other side, I told them I forgot to ask her to grab some gum. As I walked to the aisle where the gum was, I noticed the back entrance was pitch black but I could feel someone looking at me. I kept an eye on the door until we were safely out of the store. Now my daughter will tell you that I am a straight up crazy, overbearing mother but I spoke to a police officer who works in human trafficking and he said that I probably saved her life. He said they could have taken her out of the back door, put her in the trunk then she would’ve been gone. To recap the story still makes me a little sick: What made me have that feeling? What made me go in the store? What happened to the next girl in that store? It was after this event that I knew I had to be more productive in this fight against human trafficking.
And it isn't just teenage girls. The most likely age for boys to be trafficked into the sex industry is eleven to thirteen. Know where your kids are and be sure to teach them safety tips. Here's a list from the article. The author was talking about safe trick-or-treating, but most of these tips are appropriate all the time:
1. Never go into anyone’s house.
2. Never get into a car - even if you know the person.
3. Do not dress promiscuously - so not to draw attention.
4. Warn them about older peers that pay attention to them.
5. Always have check-in times.
6. Take a picture of your child before they leave for trick or treating. That way if they go missing, you’ll have an updated picture for Smart911.
7. Sign up for Smart911: www.Smart911.com

3 comments:

  1. Where did this occur and what nationality was the store owner?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was in Chicago about fifteen years ago with some friends. (We were all living in the Twin Cities at that time, so the girls have no excuse for their behavior...) We were in uh... Greek Town? It was an area that had lots of Greek food. ANYWAY!

    We were walking down the street and suddenly a limousine pulls up and two large men in tuxedos get out, and steps between me and the guys, separating us from the two girls in our group. These "gentlemen" invited the girls into the limo to go to a "swanky" party, and you know what? These two 22 year old girls WERE GOING TO DO IT! Now, the large "gentlemen", in stepping between us and the girls, had left us in front of the limo. So we REAL gentlemen stepped in front of the limo door and absolutely refused to let the girls go with them. These guys didn't try to assuage our fears, or invite us- no, first they tried to tell us we couldn't tell the girls what to do, and then when that didn't work they began to threaten us. But we didn't move. And the girls WERE STANDING UP FOR THE CREEPOS. But we refused to move or let them go.

    Honestly, I was beginning to think those dudes were going to start some poop, but they said "whatever" and got into the limo and left. You know what though? Those girls did not "forgive" us for the rest of the weekend. But I know we did the right thing.

    Also, and I know this is getting long, at about the same time "Time" magazine had an article about teen girls in prostitution, and how many of them get started is older guys find them alone at a mall, and the guys offer money to the girls to "model" for them. The article made it clear that this is very, very common. So anybody who has made it this far into my comment take note and prepare your daughters for this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much, Steve. Young people are often very trusting. I know I was. Thank God the world was a safer place. We really need to emphasize to our kids the dangers out there. Thanks for the comment!

    Phil, the author of the article didn't identify the nationality of the store owner and I'm not sure where she's from. Check the post and her blog.

    ReplyDelete