Search This Blog

Sunday, August 22, 2021

Sunday Meditation: What Do You Really Need?

Today at the NO Mass we heard the Bread of Life discourse from St. John’s gospel. “Unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink His blood, you have no life in you.” We see many of Jesus’ disciples refuse the “hard saying” and respond by leaving. They will walk with Him no longer. “Will you leave too?” He asks the twelve and Peter makes his profession of faith. “Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life.” 

I’m reading Book 4 of the Imitation and today’s chapter has everything to do with the Bread of Life. Those who left Jesus gave up the very thing they desperately need to navigate in this Valley of Tears. Thomas a Kempis reminds us:

“In this life there are two things I particularly need, without which this miserable life would be unbearable. While detained in the prison of my body, I confess my need for two things: food and light. Knowing my weakness, You have given me Your holy Body for the nourishment of my soul and body, and Your word as a lamp to my feet.

“Without these two I cannot live well; for the word of God is the light of my soul, and YOur Sacrament is the Bread of life. These may be called the two tables set on either side in the treasury of holy Church.

“One is the table of the holy altar, having on it the holy bread — the precious Body of Christ; the other is that of the divine law, containing holy doctrine, instructing us in the true faith and leading us securely even beyond the inner veil wherein is the Holy of Holies.”

We have all we need if we embrace the Eucharist, Church doctrine and Holy Tradition including devotion to the great Mother of God, Mary most holy. 

Today is Sunday when we are invited to “Keep holy the Lord’s day.” How will you keep it today? I plan to immerse myself in God’s word and with family. We already had our Sunday after-Mass brunch with family. Now I’m spending time in the Word with the family rosary later. Thy Kingdom come, O Lord.




No comments:

Post a Comment