Search This Blog

Monday, May 29, 2023

An Epilogue to Aqua's Conversion Story

As members of the Communion of Saints,
we all have stories to tell of God's grace working in our lives!

If you haven't read the original posts about Aqua's conversion, I highly recommend them. They point to the amazing way God works in the lives of his children. I would happily publish other conversion stories from our readers. Maybe Susan will share hers.

The Miracle of Conversion, A Mystery of God's Grace: Aqua's Story (Part 1)



Aqua's Epilogue:

I want to thank Mary Ann, whose idea it was for me to write this, and who gave me space on her blog to publish it.

I mentioned a “book” I wrote, many years ago, which summarized my beliefs after much thinking and studying - the “book” was a way for me to put down on paper all the thoughts swimming around, and thereby organize them … to better understand them. I am well aware that most of my comments are “too long”, but by commenting in this way, it helps me to organize my thoughts to better understand what I believe about all the various interesting topics. This “testimony”, or meditation, whatever it was, is kind of like that - in that it helped to recall where I came from, where I am going, and why I chose this particular path many, many years ago.

Thanks for reading it. It was a little intimidating putting it out there, so I appreciate the kind comments.

My main point of responding to Mary Ann’s kind invitation was to indicate to any who read this that we Catholics all have interesting “testimonies”, stories to tell. It is important to never forget why we converted in the first place, or for Cradle Catholics, why you have remained true to your Baptism and Confirmation all those years. Than to remember - *What is the point … Why did you do any of it … Is your Catholic Faith a footnote in life or the story itself … what is it you intend to bring to God when He asks you what you did with the “Talents” (spiritual treasure) He granted to you (Matt 25: 14-30) in this grand adventure of life.

Everyone (mostly) has stories to tell similar to this. I have found the most rewarding part of the Roman Catholic Faith we share is to encourage each other with our own stories! Too often we get carried away on details and debates. We are future members of the Body of Christ within the Beatific Vision! Perfect harmony and communion singing the most beautiful songs *WITH* God and the Angels forever. It is better to remember what unites us, than what divides us; to be encouraged in ultimate victory; to remember and never forget that Jesus Christ is our King and not far away - He is our “friend” (John 15:15). What unites us is the grace of God that restores us from death to life and the grace that moves us to live like Christ and the grace that leads us to happiness even while, or because of, suffering with Our Lord.

I recommend the exercise - to remember why you are Catholic, and what it is that your Faith is calling you to … something that might, perhaps, fit on your tombstone one day as a fitting remembrance.

Maybe Mary Ann might share her space with others to share their stories? The best part about being Catholic is hearing the stories of others and thereby sharing not just the common struggle … but the ever-present rewards and solace God provides to those who are faithful.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks Aqua. Your story is wonderful. I’m so very saddened at the state of catechesis and only through your deep study of the Faith could you recognize when you were being fed a plate of stones. What most Catholics believe and the manner in which the Faith is expressed is LIKE A DIFFERENT RELIGION. This is a profound tragedy. It seems untenable.

    I tried signing in via Google. But it takes me away from this site. I successfully sign in to Google but it won’t be maintained when I return here to comment. Can anyone help?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous - thank you.

    Yes, it is untenable in the long-term to determine the Catholic Faith for ourselves since God ordained the Church as our rightful Teacher -

    “14 How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?
    15 And how shall they preach, except they be sent? as it is written, How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things!” (Rom 10: 14,15)

    Even as desperate as these days are, God gave us a way out, through the original bravery of Arbp LeFebvre and his founding and subsequent Priests of the Society of St Pius X in the face of demands to give up their dogmatic attachments to the Aacred Deposit of Faith - whose Divine mission is to guard Sacred Tradition from enemies of Tradition all around and to deliver it intact and whole to the formation of the Fathful.

    13 There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it.“ (I Cor 10:13)

    As to the sign-in issues, try clicking on the “view web version” link on the bottom of an article’s page - it takes you to a dedicated comment box under your logged in information; I usually use this for comments as it seems to keep the sign-in information active, although it does not allow direct tagging of comments to others’ comments. Not sure if that answers your question …

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aqua,

    I have found the Faith alive and well at an SSPX parish! It is a treasure that I cling to, even moving far from my grown children. It is the exact same Faith I practiced as a child so very long ago—which provided me excellent catechesis and daily high Latin Mass sung by the child choir. My parents were faithful, observant Catholics but were damaged by NuChurch.

    I walked ignorant for years in the Novus Ordo (didn’t know of Traditionalism) and am now home. Alas, my children have drifted from the Catholicism they knew so I pray mightily.

    ReplyDelete