Search This Blog

Monday, June 8, 2009

It's not all bad news - The web is "rescuing Western Civ."

I Love this article. In fact, let me shout it - I LOVE THIS ARTICLE! It's called Consolations in a Dark Age by James Lewis at American Thinker. The theme is that, while colleges have stopped teaching Western Civilization, substituting denial and hate for the roots of our cultural, it's more alive than ever on the Internet.

Here's what the author says: "This is absolutely unprecedented. Today more of us can more easily access the best of 20 centuries of Western Civilization -- the real thing, not the college course -- than ever before. And people are doing it all over the world."

Read this wonderful article and then visit these examples, some of my own favorites. Homeschoolers know about this already because they are independent learners filled with a love for learning.

The world is at our fingertips so keep those keyboards humming.

Some of my favorites:

Favorite piece of classical music:



Favorite artist. Do you recognize him from this painting?



Favorite ancient philosopher

Favorite sculpture:



Favorite style of architecture:

Monstrosity or masterpiece? Which of these cathedrals would more likely lift your mind and heart to God? (Incidentally, one of the few good things about Notre Dame is their architecture program.)




Favorite Catholic Historian



And finally, my favorite writer in English literature. If I were marooned on a desert island, along with the Bible this man's collected works could keep me happy forever.

I could go on forever, but I'll let you explore your favorites for yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment