Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Who is that Mystery Monk?

On my last post, fellow blogger, Robert, who writes at "All the Clever Names Are Taken" left an off-topic comment asking about the mystery saint at his parish who no one had been able to identify for sure. The picture of the statue is on the left. 

A detective game always intrigues me so I thought I'd bite. My immediate thought as I examined the statue was that it had to be a monk who founded monasteries or a saint who built churches. So I started checking those saints and looking at their images.

The statue and painting below are two different depictions of the same saint. He is, in fact, a monk and he did build a famous monastery. In fact, he built several so it's no wonder he's shown holding a model of one.

I posted my guess in the comment section of Robert's blog so if you want to see who I think the mystery saint is go there.



2 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting this. Your pick a different saint than the one I've decided on, but you might be right. I'll post my guess later.

    ReplyDelete