Search This Blog

Thursday, March 30, 2023

Lent is a good time to reflect on death.

And here are the prayers of several saints to help you do it.

St. Francis de Sales

Prayer for a Good Death by St. Francis de Sales 

My God, I thank you now for the moment and circumstances of my death. I want to offer this moment to you with the hope that I will be departing this world in your peace. At death may I have no grudges or resentments. May I have forgiven all my enemies and have sought and received Your forgiveness.

I want to affirm now the gift of faith, hope and love You have given through the Holy Spirit, to renew my baptismal promise, and to thank you for the eternal life promised by Jesus for those who eat his Body and drink his Blood.     

Prayer for a Good Death by St. Thomas More

Good Lord, give me the grace so to spend my life, that when the day of my death shall come, though I may feel pain in my body, I may feel comfort in soul; and with faithful hope in thy mercy, in due love towards thee and charity towards the world, I may, through thy grace, part hence into thy glory.
St. Joseph Cafasso
Prayer for a Good Death by St. Joseph Cafasso
I place the moment of my death in the hands of  my dear Mother Mary, of my good Guardian Angel and of my special protectors, St. Joseph, St. Ignatius and St. Alphonsus Liguori, all of whom I expect to assist me at the hour of my death and in my voyage to eternity.
Come then, welcome death. Come, but conceal thy coming, so that the hour of my death may not give life back again. It will be no longer death for thee, my soul, but a sweet sleep if, when thou art dying, Jesus assists thee, and if when thou art expiring, Mary embraces thee.  Amen.

1 comment:

  1. Great clip from Brideshead revisited. Thank you.

    God bless

    Richard W Comerford

    ReplyDelete