Search This Blog

Monday, April 17, 2023

Exorcist calls Nefarious the best film on exorcism! Go see it!


I saw the film today and it should earn an Oscar for Sean Patrick Flanery who plays the possessed criminal. Exorcist Father Carlos Martins calls Nefarious the best film on exorcism ever made. The demon engages in manipulating mind games with the psychiatrist who is evaluating the sanity of the possessed man in order to determine his fitness for execution.

Demons do the same kinds of things with exorcists, revealing secret sins and exploiting their weaknesses. This is not a horror movie. Rather than sensationalizing the subject matter, the movie takes a serious look at the reality of demonic activity which has increased because of the dechristianization of western society. Pray that this movie is successful and sends many to their knees in prayer. St. Joseph, Terror of Demons, pray for us.

11 comments:

  1. Great review. Bit of a spoiler. https://www.pluggedin.com/movie-reviews/nefarious-2023/

    ReplyDelete
  2. i.e. demons are NOT omniscient

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was going to avoid this movie simply because I'm skeptical of anything Hollywood has on offer, but based on your review, Mary Ann -- and Arizona Central's Bill Goodykoontz's one complaint being that Glenn Beck makes an appearance at the end, so clearly it's garbage -- I'm convinced to check it out!

    Another selling point was the very source of the "R" rating. I checked out the Parents Guide at IMDb (as I am wont to do), and everything's either "mild" or not mentioned at all. Except for one thing: "Abortion is described in detail." Oh, noes! Can't talk about the reality of abortion, man!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Check out the rotten tomatoes score. 30% favorable among critics, 97% favorable among audience. Now I definitely want to see it

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for recommending Mary Ann. Just got home from seeing it. Had a lot of very good points.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I’m not sure it’s a good idea to see a movie like this. My concern is that unbaptized people will go looking for demons to interview, especially teens are known to try things out with the supernatural. Was a priest there? If not, that’s another concern. Only priests should interview the possessed. It’s also not good to draw attention to demonic activity. Many Saints, who were able to see their tormentors, took great lengths to ignore and downplay their activities. I think I’ll stick with the old saying, don’t go looking for trouble because then you’ll find it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Anonymous. Plus, even well done movies about demons, possession, etc., freak me out too much. Watching a movie that requires me to have a Rosary in one hand and a crucifix in the other means I really shouldn't watch it. But that's just me.

      Delete
    2. Thanks! And you’re comment is delightful, rosary in one hand & crucifix in the other. That’s a precious image!

      Delete
  7. A number of people say they were inspired to pray more by the movie. I thought it was very much like The Screwtape Letters. Gives you an idea of the devil’s deceits.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My very traditional FSSP priest told me to stay away from media that demonstrates the demonic.
    He said, receive the Sacraments, frequent Confession, at least weekly Holy Communion, and daily Rosary.
    He said that with these on your side you do not need to look at the demonic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! I do my best to keep my eyes on the cross!

      Delete