Search This Blog

Monday, June 12, 2023

It's Monday. Got Humility? It does a body (and soul) good!

Humiliation is good for the soul. It help us grow in the virtue of humility!

Sometimes, I feel like a lunatic. (Please, no nasty comments from trolls.) Over the weekend we went to a grandson's soccer game, the last of the season. He made several goals and was very happy. As I sat on the side of the field chatting with my daughter-in-law, I asked if Charlie had made his First Communion. Normal question right? Well, it would be except we went to his First Communion in May. (How soon they forget!) I'd worry that I had Alzheimer's coming on except for the fact that I've always been absent-minded and often ask about things I already know. If I thought about it for thirty seconds I'd have the answer. But there I was, once more, humiliating myself. It's a reminder to stop and think! Which I would if I thought about it for a minute. Ah well...one more humiliation.

Keep in mind that, when I talk about humiliation, I'm not talking about verbal abuse. That should never be accepted. But mistakes and criticism that humiliate one are opportunities to grow in humility. Those types of humiliation are good for you if they help you grow in virtue! Father John Hardon (RIP) used to say only little, humble people get into heaven and the only way to become humble is through humiliation. I get plenty of practice thanks to my absent-mindedness and a regular lack of sleep.  Yesterday, for example, I was up at 3:00 a.m. and, despite that, I was up this morning at 5:00. Since we are doggie sitting our daughter's little yorkie (or is he a yorkie-poo?) I went down and took him for a walk. 

Which leads me to a totally irrelevant observation. It was still dark when I took Scooby out. It's June and there are hardly any June bugs flying around. I remember when I was a child the nights being lit up by those fascinating little creatures. Apparently one thing that affects them is light pollution. We're pretty close to town. I wonder if there are more of them further out in the country away from the lights. But I digress.

At any rate, I'm up and thinking about the day and hoping I can find my brain this morning. I'm having a few ladies over for lunch and to pray the rosary during this month of the Sacred Heart of Jesus. It would be nice to be at least a little coherent. But I will no doubt do or say something that humiliates me once again. These kind ladies will overlook it.

Besides, humiliation is good for the soul, so I'll take it, laugh at myself, and eagerly wait for the next humiliation. (Well, maybe not eagerly.) Then I'll try to remember to thank God for it. I want to be a little, humble soul, so I can get into heaven. Pride thrust Lucifer and his rebels into hell. I certainly don't want that! But I think it will take a lot more humiliations to make me ready for heaven. Hey, maybe that's why I'm still here. 

Most Sacred Heart of Jesus, I place all my trust in you.

7 comments:

  1. Mary Ann: Firstly, thanks for your always insightful posts. Secondly, I was struck by your observation about fireflies (as we call june bugs in these parts) as I was thinking the same thing last night on my dog's last "potty call." There are NONE this year so far, and I live in a rural area far from city lights. Me field out back is usually teeming with them at this time of year. I, too, wonder what's going on.
    God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so important not to take ourselves too seriously. I am nothing, God is everything - there is no room for ego in that equation.

    I have been developing the habit of verbally (out loud) deflecting any credit for successes to God - “to God be all the glory, great things hath He done!”.

    We go to God in our misery and failures for Confessional healing. We should go to God also to give Him gifts of honor and glory for any successes, contrasting with our failures. To God, in everything.

    I have made the same or similar type of mistake you mention here - head scratchers to others, but also to myself when I have a moment to think about what I just said or did๐Ÿคจ.

    But once we stop taking things so seriously, it is much better to learn to laugh at the little absurdities. It may be unkind to laugh at others, but there’s no rule against LOLing at myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. On my granddaughter's birthday in December I bought her a beautiful Happy 21st Birthday card and a nice gift since it was such a special day for her. She opened the card, read it, then laughed and said, "Thank you so much Grandma, but I'm 20 this year, not 21."

    I was totally humiliated but managed to suggest that she keep the card for next year. We all still joke about it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I was still doing the Protestant thing I stumbled on the Litany of Humility and immediately loved it. Then when I became Catholic and started praying the Rosary (somewhat) daily I also prayed the Litany on Tues and Fri. Now that I'm back to work, I pray it everyday before work. I know I need the reminder daily.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I understand. Sharing this short. Made me think how easy it is to judge and criticize and it's consequences can be devastating.

    https://youtube.com/shorts/KrHqkikL8eY?feature=share

    ReplyDelete
  6. I pray that a lot, Debbie. It reminds me when something happens that I asked for it. Makes me laugh.

    Susie, that happened to me in church one Sunday but it was before the service. The phone kept telling me to "proceed to the route." I thought it was someone else's phone and wondered why the person didn't turn it off. Then the lady in the pew next to me reached over and tapped me and told me it was my phone. Another humiliating moment. She probably thought I was deaf. I shook my head at myself. And then I quietly laughed. At least it was before Mass not during.

    ReplyDelete