Search This Blog

Friday, August 16, 2024

Got Gratitude? It Does a Body (and a Soul) Good!

Francisco of Fatima, please pray for me that I might have a grateful heart!

I often think of the little shepherd boy, Francisco of Fatima. Since he knew he would die soon, he couldn't see the value of spending hours in school. Instead, he often went to the church and wrapped his arms around the tabernacle lamenting that "Love is not loved!" 

Love is not loved!

We saw that many times during the Olympics didn't we? Love was mocked, derided, blasphemed! Who and what was loved and worshiped instead of our good God? Satan, lust, perversion. 

Of course there were exceptions among the athletes who publicly professed their love for Jesus Christ, but their voices were more quiet than the voice of evil that screamed amidst raucous music and flashing lights. The celebration of evil raged; the voice of good whispered.

Did we see much gratitude expressed during the weeks of worship for the talented athlete/gods of the world? Their talent comes from God, but how many thank Him for it? Few indeed!

Gratitude! 

Cicero called it the parent of all the other virtues. And that makes sense. Gratitude requires a big dose of humility. It requires recognizing that we need others, God first, but then many others. The athletes have coaches and mentors. They couldn't get to the Olympic stage without them.  They deserve thanks. 

Are we as smart as a pagan philosopher?

And to whom do all of us owe gratitude without measure? Almighty God, of course. We owe him gratitude for everything, submitting to his will in all things because all is for our good. Not just the happy events, but every single thing: good weather, bad weather, a great garden crop, the groundhog that eats up the crop, a good bee season, a hive devoured by wax moth. Nothing "just happens;" it all comes from the hand of a good God who knows exactly what we need to grow in virtue.

How grateful am I? How grateful are you? That's certainly an important question to ponder. This morning as I read The Life and Glories of Saint Joseph, I came across this humbling entry:

It belongs to noble and generous hearts to feel gratitude, and the more noble and generous they are the more lively is that gratitude. Great souls are tenderly thankful even for small services, while little and mean souls overlook the greatest.

Ouch! 

How many times am I ungrateful? How many times do I complain over the little challenges of life, like a traffic jam that invites me to be patient or a slight wound or insulting word that could remind me of what Jesus suffered in His passion. How dare I complain instead of saying thank you for an opportunity to unite my insignificant suffering to Christ's ordeal. I could be pouring my challenges into the cup the angel brought Christ in the garden to relieve Him. How many times do I waste it and turn the wine of consolation into water and pour it into the cesspool of self-pity.

Today I will try to see everything that happens, pleasurable or painful, as God's Holy Will and say thank you for it. When I examine my conscience tonight, I'll see how well I did. And if I failed (once again), I will thank God for reminding me how little good I can do on my own and how dependent I am for His help.

May Jesus Christ be praised....and thanked...now and forever!

1 comment:

  1. Such a great meditation.

    We forget to say thank you, to the extent we forget where we come from, where we are going, and to whom we owe every breath we take and every beat of our heart. To the extent we forget we come from God, will go one day to meet God, and that God sustains our life every moment of every day, and is intimately familiar with our every breath, every thought every action … to *that* extent we are ungrateful; to that extent we take pride in our achievements and compare them to that of others’ - inspiring envy and discord among our *selves*, rather than Charity and unity in Christ.

    “All things work together for good, to those who love God, to those called according to His purpose.” (Rom 8:28)

    Walk hand in hand with God, in all the little and big things of life, never let Him go, even for a moment, and this verse will thereby apply.

    ReplyDelete