Search This Blog

Monday, February 13, 2023

A few random thoughts for Monday!

"A new day with no mistakes in it....yet." Miss Stacey to Ann Shirley

I'm going to see my spiritual director today, so I'm thinking about my recent challenges and how to face them.

First of all, I want to love God with my whole heart, mind, will, and strength. That's primary and it really sums up everything. What can I do this Lent to cooperate better with God's grace?

Secondly, I want to follow the sage advice of that dear Jesuit, Fr. John Hardon who admonished us on retreat to "live in the real world." So many, he said, are living in a dream world. I want to be a realist who follows Mr. Rogers advice. His three rules for success? Be kind, be kind, be kind. When you're roots are German-Irish, sarcasm comes more naturally.

Third, keep my sense of humor and thank God for those who insult me, recalling the Beatitude, "Blessed are you when men persecute you and utter all kinds of slanders against you." Someone I have always liked and admired recently insulted me and called me a liar. Well, to be more accurate, she used a euphemism saying I was guilty of telling "untruths." These days I have a pretty thick skin, but it still hurt. I thanked God (I admit it wasn't easy!) and sent my guardian angel to pray with hers. Another Fr. Hardon gem is to welcome humiliation. It's the only way to become humble and only little, humble people get into heaven. I still need a lot of whittling down.

A new week, another day for God...How will you use it today?

3 comments:

  1. Dear Mary Ann,

    A helpful essay. Thank you. My sweet mother-in-law, Joann went to her eternal reward Sunday morning. She was eighty seven years old. I will remember to be kind this week to my family. Please send prayers my way. Joann was the last grandma my children had living. She gave the best back scratches in the world.

    I hope you are well.

    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I say several rosaries on my way, and will offer them for the happy repose of Joann's soul. I will also be asking her intercession and praying for your family. I remember when my husband and I became part of the patriarchal generation in 2002. It is a sad transition, but not for those who go before us. They are blessed, indeed, when they die in the state of grace. God love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been praying for humility and the willingness to suffer, and there has been no shortage! May this lent be fruitful. I need it.

    -Mrs T

    ReplyDelete