Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Pope Francis Talks to Children

A few days ago, Pope Francis met with a group of children. He pitched his 5-page prepared speech, gave a brief summary, and then answered questions. One was on politics. Now, frankly, I hate politics, but I'm involved because if Christians aren't who does that leave? I'm not super involved, but I do more than vote. I actively support pro-life candidates. I used to be a precinct chairman, but I don't much walk the precincts these days. I write letters to the editor, collect signatures to get the good guys on the ballot, etc. I was interested to read what Pope Francis' said to the children and their parents about politics:
Getting involved in politics is a Christian duty. We Christians cannot be like Pilate and wash our hands clean of things. We need to get involved in politics because it’s one of the highest expressions of charity. It takes the common into consideration. Lay Christians must work in politics. That’s no easy task you might say. But it isn’t an easy task becoming a priest either! Politics is dirty but the reason it has become dirty is that Christians didn’t get deeply enough involved in the evangelical spirit. It’s easy to find excuses for this… but what do I do? Working for the common good is a Christian duty.
He had a lot of other great things to say as well which you can read about here.

The pope has asked us to pray three Hail Marys a day for him. Will you say yes? The three Hail Mary's devotion is also a practice that can inoculate souls against mortal sin. If you stay close to the Mother of God, you will be close to Jesus. She is so entwined with her Son that you cannot love one without loving the other.

Mary, Mother of our Savior, pray for us and for our Holy Father, Pope Francis.

2 comments:

  1. I'm not very happy with his remarks about the rosaries (spiritual bouquets) that were said for him. It was rather classless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. I kind of laughed considering he asked everyone to pray three Hail Mary's a day for him. So he does count. But perhaps the context made the comment more understandable.

    ReplyDelete