Search This Blog

Monday, May 26, 2014

Reading about the Saints: St. Monica, Mother of St. Augustine, Intercede for our Children

I was up from 3:30 to 5:00 a.m. and took my Kindle downstairs to pass my awake time. It's loaded with writings and biographies of saints. This morning I read a biography of St. Monica by Mother Frances Forbes. It was short and I finished it, and what an inspiring portrait of holy Monica was contained in those few pages. What trusting perseverance in God's power to change both her pagan husband and her brilliant, but stubborn, son!

Mother Forbes wrote many other short biographies of saints and I look forward to tracking them down as well. Think of the power of the lives of the saints to transform those who are lost in sin. St. Ignatius was converted reading lives of the saints while recovering from a battle wound. Edith Stein was converted by reading St. Teresa of Avila. Reading about St. Monica makes me want to grow in trust and patience as I pray for family and friends struggling in our fallen world. What a gift to persevere so diligently that the salvation of another is the fruit of our prayer!

Who needs your prayers today? What will you suffer and sacrifice to bring that loved one to the fullness of truth?

No comments:

Post a Comment