Search This Blog

Saturday, April 28, 2018

They're Falling Like Dominoes: Is Tom Brokaw the Next Harvey Weinstein?

Linda Vester, NBC correspondent, describes her harassment by Tom Brokaw.

Brokaw denies it, but Linda Vester is no Stormy Daniels.

She is a respected foreign correspondent who covered the news from war zones for NBC. It will be hard to treat her story as a "bimbo eruption."

Vester left television in 2000 to focus on family. She has four children and three step children.

This latest story leads me to ask why some men act like such boars (in heat). I think of the medieval ideal of treating women with respect. The Man of La Mancha reflected that ideal, even addressing the self-proclaimed "slut" Aldonza as "now and forever my lady, Dulcinea." And gradually, she became what he imaged to her.


We need a Catholic revival of manhood -- of gentlemanly manners. When men act like Jesus Christ and St. Joseph the world will change.

What does it mean to be a "gentleman?" -- specifically, a Catholic gentleman?

A good place to look for the answer is on the Catholic Gentleman website. It's banner exhorts:


The "manifesto" for Catholic gentlemen reads in part:
  • Women are not the source of our problems. 
  • We live chivalrous lives, with unending respect for women, our co-creators of mankind.
  • Women and men are equal in the sense that they are complementary, not plainly equal in all things. 
  • Full blame rests on our shoulders. 
  • We take personal responsibility for the state of our souls and the souls within our care.
The souls we scandalize and the souls that are brought closer to Christ, by Christ through us.
Through the sake of HIS sorrowful passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world.
  • We understand at last what true Wealth is, and where it comes from.
The physical, the mental and most importantly the spiritual.
  • Morality is our daily habit: we exercise generosity, maintain strong determination, make diligent and sustained effort, give selfless Love, tell the Truth in all cases and all ways, discipline ourselves, show tolerance, seek wisdom, practice renunciation, and cultivate equanimity.
Tom Brokaw, a nominal Catholic, could benefit by studying up on what it means to be a gentleman, specifically a Catholic gentleman. Men and women are made to love and respect each other and to be helpmates on the journey to heaven. Let's pray for a restoration of the respect -- by men for women and by women for men.

Lord Jesus, have mercy on us.
Our Lady, Queen of Heaven and Earth, pray for us.
St. Joseph, the model of Catholic manhood, pray for us.

7 comments:

  1. I don't know that the claim is true or that the accuser is without any culpability. If she invited Brokaw to her hotel room...well that was a mistake. I learned about that sort of thing in my first months of college! And why bring this up 25 years later? To tarnish the man who is 78 years old and dying of an incurable cancer? What is to be gained here? If she was raped and there was ongoing such behavior on the part of a man, that would be one thing. But if it was a passing pat or something like that from years ago--forgive, why don't you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tom Brokaw is not the next Harvy Weinstein. I worked at NBC. I knew Tom Brokaw, not personally but professionally. I never saw him or heard him say or do anything inappropriate. I agree with a lot of the other claims that women have made about other anchors/staffers/celebrity personalities, etc. at NBC. A lot of it is true but this one, I do not believe is true. I think Tom Brokaw is and always was a gentleman and doesn't deserve this drive by shooting by Linda Vester who, as far as I am concerned, only wants the attention is has gained her. It's too bad there are women like her because she denigrates the truth of many others.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The "feminists" are all lining up behind this "good" democrat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wrote a post yesterday but I don't see it here. Maybe it never went through so I'll try again. I worked at NBC for close to 30 years. I knew Tom Brokaw, not personally but professionally. I know that sexual harrassment was rampant at NBC but I never saw or heard Tom Brokaw being anything but a gentleman. I can't say that of many of the other anchors and celebrities at NBC. I just watched the video that Ms. Vesper made for Variety and NONE of it rings true for me. She has an agenda and that agenda is to ruin Tom Brokaw and gain notoriety. If she claims she had those conversations with her friend and collegue at the NBC Washington bureau at the time this happened, why doesn't that person coraborate her story? Why doesn't she name that person? I would love to know who that person is.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Mrs. Kreitzer. First, let me say that I like your blog and agree with 95% of what you say. So, please don't feel me too harsh on my criticism of this article. Let me also say that I cannot stand the liberal media or the Hollywood elite so I would normally have no sympathy at all with Tom Brokaw. But, in this case, let's just say that he and others accused of similar behavior are innocent until proven guilty instead of rushing to fast judgment. That, however, is not the main thrust of my comments. It is feminism which I feel has totally destroyed this Country. You talk about treating women with respect. First, most of them don't want it anymore and second, they don't deserve it. These sexual encounters are occurring more and more today because women insist on being in the workplace-feminism. What do you think will happen with more and more regularity when you put men and women together. Second, women no longer dress modestly. I couldn't help but notice your article on needing community. The first picture I see is a woman in a t-shirt with the rock group, Guns and Roses" on it. That is setting a real good example. Then I see a group picture with women dressed immodestly in shorts or pedal pushers-no dresses. The wearing of dresses distinguishes women from men. The first breakthrough for feminism was women wearing pants ala Katherine Hepburn. I am convinced that this "blending of the sexes" has led to homosexuality and transgenderism. The man in the picture is wearing shorts and tennis shoes. Men need to grow up and not dress like infantiles to be "cool". In summary, we/some men will become gentlemen and treat women with respect once they become feminine again and abandon feminism. Thanks for hearing me out. Sincerely, Dan Becker-a loyal reader.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks to all of you for your insightful comments. You're right that there should be no leap to judgment. Tom Brokaw deserves the benefit of the doubt. And I experienced some boorish behavior myself when I worked for the government as a newly hired college grad that I would never have exposed. I also agree that feminism has taken a real toll on male/female relationships. And, yes, immodesty is a major problem. I once refused to go out with an adult family member because of the way she was dressed.

    Nevertheless, men are called to be leaders. Prior to feminism there were plenty of problems. There was an attitude of men being allowed to "sow their wild oats" while a fallen woman was considered a "slut" and her child a "bastard" to be shunned. Feminism had some valid points. That being said, once you separate truth from the love of Jesus Christ you have a serious problem because truth without love can kill. The truth that sex outside marriage is evil, isolated from other truths, easily leads to abortion.

    Men and women both need to be the images of God that we're called to be. We're supposed to help each other to reach heaven. Adam and Eve both sinned in the garden, but think what might have been if Adam had refused to join Eve in her sin and had instead corrected her and stood (like Moses) as an intermediary with God. Let's all pray for each other that we be helpmates with one another instead of partners in sin.

    ReplyDelete
  7. BTW -- I was away this weekend with no computer which is the reason for the delay in posting comments.

    ReplyDelete