Search This Blog

Friday, October 29, 2021

Thought for the Day: Embrace it all, both the joys and the sufferings!

From the Soul of the Apostolate:

The truly interior soul abandons itself to the good pleasure of God, and accepts with the same patience and evenness of heart both what is pleasing and what brings pain: indeed, it goes so far as to be joyful under affliction, and happy to carry the Cross.

No one ever said it was going to be easy! A rose garden has beautiful flowers but every stem holding a bud is covered with sharp thorns. You can't pick those roses without getting an occasional sharp prick even to the point of drawing blood. 

Today or tomorrow or next week will be filled with all kinds of moments: kisses and hugs from loved ones, telephone conversations that bring good news (or bad), a comments of praise that please us or criticism that pains us, fleeting moments of insight, battles over temptations.... How will we respond? Will we "accept with the same patience and evenness of heart" both the good and the bad? Will we pick up the cross and follow Him?

Today I'm picking a rose for the Blessed Mother. I'm feeling the thorn to remind myself that beauty is often accompanied by pain. I'm asking Mary to help me ponder it all in my heart that I might know and love the "good pleasure of God."

May your day be filled with blessings. I'll be offering my Mass and rosary for you. Please pray for me as well. 

1 comment: