Search This Blog

Saturday, July 15, 2023

Thought for the Day: Govern Yourself!

 Most days I read the saints of the day from Butler's Lives. Today is the feast of St. Henry the Emperor who died in the early 1022 and was one of the rulers of the Holy Roman Empire. A line from his description really hit me. While he had the responsibility of governing his nation, he had the prudence to recognize that, "the government of himself was his first obligation."

That invites serious introspection. How well do I govern myself? Do I reflect on my chief faults and work diligently to master them? Do I "govern" them by a prudent use of my intellect and will? A serious examination shows me exactly how often my faults govern me rather than me governing them. Thank God for the sacrament of Confession and the help of my guardian in mastering myself, a lifelong project.

Reading the lives of the saints always invites serious reflection on our faults and failings, but also our successes. At the end of the day, it's good to examine both. How well did I do in my actions? Did I omit something I should have done?

I am the queen of my own little nation. How well am I governing?

4 comments:

  1. “The government of himself was his first responsibility”.

    Now THAT is a King I’d follow to you-know-where and back. And the little unseen, interior spiritual things have a way of enduring so that we are talking about them long after the “oh-so-important” issues of the day 1,000 years are long, long forgotten and irrelevant.

    Boy, do I ever need that advice. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ms K:

    Great stuff!

    God bless

    Richard W Comerford

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary Ann,
    I saw this, Hung Cao for VA Senste, and I thought of recommending it to you, Virginian, on your blog. And it seemed appropriate to do so on this post about “governing yourself”, before you ever think about governing others.

    This fellow has a story that is pure Americana and I am impressed. I’ve personally known “boat people”. I am (generally speaking) in awe of them, those who survived … especially those like Hung Cao who not only survived but thrived. And having learned to “master himself” in Navy Special Forces (I assume the Seals), he is prepared to share his leadership with the rest of us.

    I like this guy a lot … hope Virginians agree!

    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IBUE5uft_9k

    ReplyDelete
  4. 🎉🥂😎 in agreement! Yes, it is one of the basic purposes of life as a human being - similar, I think to Socrates, "Know thyself." How can I imagine that I "know" other people or am skilled to govern them if I do not know myself or govern myself. Top Notch idea but so terribly difficult to live by when the distraction and the escape/avoidance from looking at myself is so easily available - My disapproval of other people.🙏

    ReplyDelete