Search This Blog

Thursday, July 17, 2014

Will We Face a Bloody Martyrdom Here in America?

"I am convinced that the persecution against Christians today is stronger than in the first centuries of the Church. Today there are more Christian martyrs than in that period. And, it's not because of fantasy, it's because of the numbers."   Pope Francis 
June 9th interview with Andre Tornielli for La Vanguardia

I think the pope's other oft-quoted statement from the same interview shows his own willingness to expose himself to possible martyrdom:
"I know that something could happen to me, but it's all in God's hands. I remember that in Brazil they had prepared a Popemobile closed with glass. But I cannot greet people and tell them that I love them from inside a sardine can, even if it is crystal. To me this is a wall. It is true that something can happen to me, but let's be realistic, at my age I don't have much to lose."
It's wonderful to have a pope who makes you laugh!


1 comment:

  1. A red crown in America? Certainly, possible. We are certainly many are suffering a white martyrdom in those who follow the magesterium faithfully. Those signs are clear to all. We do need to be prepared and ready for the white or red crown. It's up to God to decide which if any we'll be offered.

    Heck, I'm 54. Kids are all grown up and doing well. so, I'm reminded of a quote from a blogger I used to follow regularly.

    "She could never be a saint, but she thought she could be a martyr if they killed her quick" --- Crescat

    ReplyDelete