1) The older "blonde" woman is washing the younger woman's hair.
2) The older woman is looking for lice in the younger woman's hair.
3) The younger woman is getting her head massaged.
4) The younger woman fell asleep; the older woman is trying to wake her up.
5) They're participating in a seance.
6) They're 2 of the 3 witches in Macbeth practicing their line, "Double, double, toil and trouble" while waiting for their cauldron to bubble.
7) They're members of an odd sect. (Correct answer)
8) They're self-described empowered companions on a journey (to nowhere).
9) The older woman is anointing the younger with something, an egg perhaps.
10) They're friends of Harry Potter waiting for their broomsticks (I see a bright green one overhead making its landing).
11) They're pathetic charlatans
12) They're trying to be what they will never be, and will go to their graves with their dreams unfulfilled.
Fortunately Nilsson has the answer for us. Sing it, Harry!