Search This Blog

Sunday, December 13, 2015

Do You Celebrate Snowmen and Snowflakes or Jesus?

This reflection by my friend Fr. Tom Collins reminded me of Robert Frost's poem, Fire and Ice. See if you agree. I've posted it after Father's reflection.
A MODEST PROPOSAL - from Fr. Tom 
It is interesting to note how the bullies of political correctness have intimidated so many Christians from saying, "Merry Christmas". Instead, following the secular jubilation in celebrating snowflakes, snow men and snow jobs, we are to go deeply in debt to buy gifts and joyfully say, "Happy Holidays." 
But, without Christ, all of us would go to hell. We may get some quick thrills along the way, but, ultimately, we are all doomed to damnation without Him.So, to express the fullness of this secular season of warm fuzzy feelings, if we are prohibited from saying "Merry Christmas," we should be honest enough to greet one another with the true spirit offered by this season of materialistic thrills by saying, "Happy holidays - enjoy the trip to hell!" 
We need to remember that even if we are having fun in our one-horse open sleigh, if it is going to hell, we will be haunted by the awareness that all our temporary thrills and jingle bells will be brutally silenced in that hell, which will eternally engulf all those who reject the amazing graciousness of God offered to us through Jesus Christ.
Those who despise the humility of love, despise God and all the gracious gifts He gives. Since without Christ there is no hope for humanity, 
A blessed and merry Christmas to you!
Fr. Tom

Fire and Ice

BY ROBERT FROST
Some say the world will end in fire,
Some say in ice.
From what I’ve tasted of desire
I hold with those who favor fire.
But if it had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate
To say that for destruction ice
Is also great
And would suffice.

1 comment:

  1. You hit a hot button for me. My last Nursing job included a youthful Director of Social Work who chastised me when I wished my Healthcare Team a Merry Christmas. She corrected me by instructing me, an older Nurse with years of experience listening and caring for the most vulnerable suffering souls and their relatives, that I must be more sensitive and wish them happy holidays!
    The next day in the office kitchen while pouring a cup of coffee, I wished the owner of the company a Merry Christmas and then corrected myself and said ,"Oh no I mean Happy Holidays.".....She turned to me and said ,"I hate that!" To which I responded, "Well you better inform your MSW Director of your preference. Because in my experience as a nurse when reading a client's chart, I am fully aware of their religious affiliation, which is something every social worker should also know too prior to meeting the patient."
    Changes in social and cultural agendas are always implemented in the schools and colleges first. Bella Dodd is a prime example.
    First neutralizing Christianity and then eliminating it altogether, is Marxist Communism.


    ReplyDelete