Search This Blog

Sunday, April 28, 2013

Why We Need the Five First Saturdays Devotion...

...and devotion to Mary's seven sorrows.

It is hard to imagine how anyone could be more insulting to a person than to attack his mother. And yet, it seems attacks on the Virgin Mary are not only fashionable today, but the rage! A new play on Broadway described here:

Toibin's daring take on the life of Virgin Mary wows critics in US

is blasphemous to such a degree it takes one's breath away. To read about our Blessed Lady being portrayed as a cigarette-smoking, booze-guzzling pagan who mistrusts and dislikes the apostles and ends up stripping naked at the end of the play brought tears of rage and sorrow to my eyes. It also reminded me of the reason for the five first Saturdays devotion. 

In July 1917 during her apparition to the three little shepherd children at Fatima, Our Lady said, “I shall come to ask... that on the First Saturday of every month, Communions of reparation be made in atonement for the sins of the world.” 

In 1925 she again appeared to the only surviving seer, Lucia, with the baby Jesus
who spoke to Lucia saying, “Have pity on the Heart of your Most Holy Mother. It is covered with thorns with which ungrateful men pierce it at every moment, and there is no one to remove them with an act of reparation.” Then Our Lady spoke, “See, my daughter, my Heart encircled by thorns with which ungrateful men pierce it at every moment by their blasphemies and ingratitude. Do you, at least, strive to console me. Tell them that I promise to assist at the hour of death with the graces necessary for salvation all those who, in order to make reparation to me, on the First Saturday of five successive months, go to confession, receive Holy Communion, say five decades of the rosary, and keep me company for a quarter of an hour, meditating on the fifteen mysteries of the Rosary.”

Can anyone doubt that this blasphemous play heaped suffering on Christ during His passion? He looked down the centuries back to the first original sin and forward through the ages until His second coming and saw every sin and blasphemy committed by every person to ever live. I think among all the suffering, one that must have pained him grievously was the cruel disrespect of his Holy Mother. She who said, "I am the slave girl of the Lord," obeyed God and loved Him with every fiber of her being. How can her Son not have suffered excruciating agony over the attacks on this purest of flowers?

The Church presents us with Mary under the title of Our Lady of Sorrows and depicts seven of them for our prayer and meditation. But the sorrows and sufferings heaped on Our Blessed Mother are unending with this blasphemous play just the latest in a long line of blasphemies.

Please join me in praying for all those connected with this ugly and disgusting attack on Mary, the Mother of God. May they come to their senses before it's too late.

Eternal Father, we offer Thee the Blood, the Passion, and the Death of Jesus Christ, the sorrows of Mary most holy, and of St. Joseph, in satisfaction for our sins, in aid of the Holy Souls in Purgatory, for the needs of holy Mother Church, and for the conversion of sinners.
Virgin most sorrowful, pray for us!

2 comments:

  1. I pray these Fatima Prayers every day: My God, I believe, I adore, I hope, and I love thee.
    I ask forgiveness for those who do not believe,nor adore, nor hope nor love thee.

    Most Holy Trinity, Father, Son and Holy Spirit,
    I adore thee profoundly,
    and I offer You the Most Precious Body, Blood, Soul and
    Divinity of Jesus Christ,
    present in all tabernacles of the world,
    in reparation for the outrages sacrileges
    and indifferences by which He is offended,
    and by the infinite merits of His Most Sacred Heart
    and through the Immaculate Heart of Mary,
    I beg the conversion of poor sinners.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Dolorosa, I hope many people will copy that prayer and join you in saying it daily. I'm putting it in my Liturgy of the Hours prayer book and am adding it to my morning prayers.

    ReplyDelete